× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using ReadyNAS to host an iTunes library

dagmarian
Guide

Using ReadyNAS to host an iTunes library

(ReadyNAS Firmware 6.7.4; Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5)

Primary question: why does NETGEAR recommend that iTunes library files are not moved from an OS X computer to a ReadyNAS system?

Secondary question: and what about establishing a new iTunes library from scratch on the ReadyNAS?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 5
nsne
Virtuoso

Re: Using ReadyNAS to host an iTunes library

I've had my primary iTunes library hosted on my ReadyNAS for years.

On the NAS I created an AFP share called "iTunes" and put my iTunes Media folder in it. Then I symlinked the iTunes Media folder under ~/Music/ to that.

For good measure, I also changed the library location in iTunes preferences to /Volumes/iTunes/iTunes Media.

Scratch might be easier than migrating, because there are always tracks that get lost or go missing during migration.

Can't imagine why Netgear would specifically recommend against it.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@nsne wrote:

Can't imagine why Netgear would specifically recommend against it.

They do though, but they give no reasons.

https://kb.netgear.com/25400/Using-ReadyNAS-OS-6-and-iTunes-Service-on-Mac-OS-X wrote:

NETGEAR recommends that you do not move the iTunes library files from your OS X computer to a ReadyNAS system. You can however move the iTunes library (music and video files) to a ReadyNAS.

Message 3 of 5
dagmarian
Guide

Indeed Stephen; and it is the reasons I am trying to ascertain.

My guess is that it has something to do with the need to be careful if library files (in addition to the library of media itself) are located off the Mac; as I think I may have read previously that if a Mac does not find the library files it will set about creating fresh ones.  Thus it becomes essential that the NAS is connected before iTunes is started - which could be prone to being missed etc.

Message 4 of 5
nsne
Virtuoso

Yes, I think it has to do with the .itl library file itself and not the media library as a whole. Putting the .itl library file on the NAS could get messy if multiple devices access it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements