× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using SMB 2.0 on a ReadyNAS Ultra 6

StangLuvr
Follower

Using SMB 2.0 on a ReadyNAS Ultra 6

Posting to see if there is a way to add SMB 2.0 support to my ReadyNAS Ultra 6. I know this is an older unit but it still runs fine and has been solid since the day I bought it. Not sure what OS it is running (how can I figure that out) but it is running firmware 4.2.31

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 6|ReadyNAS-Ultra 6
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Using SMB 2.0 on a ReadyNAS Ultra 6

@StangLuvr

Welcome to the Community!

Legacy NAS only supports SMB1 and SMB2 is experimental but you can enable it via SSH but it may pose issues by doing so. This procedure is also not Supported by NETGEAR.

I think the best option would be to upgrade your Ultra 6 to OS 6 that way it will be updated and will be using latest SMBv.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Ultra-6-OS-Upgrade-from-4-2-30-to-O...

This link might help if you decide to go with upgrading the OS, but this is also not supported by NETGEAR Support but users here in the community will be able to help

HTH

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@StangLuvr

Welcome to the Community!

Legacy NAS only supports SMB1 and SMB2 is experimental but you can enable it via SSH but it may pose issues by doing so. This procedure is also not Supported by NETGEAR.

I think the best option would be to upgrade your Ultra 6 to OS 6 that way it will be updated and will be using latest SMBv.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Ultra-6-OS-Upgrade-from-4-2-30-to-O...

This link might help if you decide to go with upgrading the OS, but this is also not supported by NETGEAR Support but users here in the community will be able to help

HTH

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Only by converting it to run OS6.  There are many advantages to running OS6, most importantly an up to date Linux core.  There are some downsides, too -- the lack of any support, including paid, from Netgear being the main one.  To run  it, you should upgrade memory to at least 2GB, whihc is quite easy.  OS6 has more overhead than OS4.2.x, so you may notice it not being quite as snappy with the relatively slow CPU by today's standards.  I had one I used as a backup device and it was just fine for me, but I would not recommend one for Plex or an environment with a lot of users.

If you are interested in an OS6 conversion, just Google it and select a fairly recent result from this forum, as the location of the required files has changed from the original.  Don't bother with the search built into the forum, it's abominable.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements