× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using X-RAID To Reformat Disk for more Storage, Is this the best solution?

Beluna
Aspirant

Using X-RAID To Reformat Disk for more Storage, Is this the best solution?

Before I complete this task, just wanted to get feedback if this the best, easiest wayto backup my data.

Currently,  I have 4 disck in my NAS.  (2) 2TB & (2) 1 TB drives.

The 2TB drives were setup as redundant stoage.  Meaning Drive 1 has data a-z and drive 2 has data A-Z.

Drive 3 & $ with lesser space was setup the same way.

The problem now is my la[top drive is bigger than my backp NAS (4TB) on the lap.

Give this situation should all the disk in NAS be setup for X-RAID? or Maybe this is the definition of Flex-Raid, where I pair a 2TB with a 1 TB in the NAS.  and having two backups for 3 TB each.

My total backup requirements from the Laptop is about 2.3 TB.

What are your suggestions.

Thanks

Model: ReadyNAS-1000S|ReadyNAS-1000S
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Using X-RAID To Reformat Disk for more Storage, Is this the best solution?

@Beluna wrote:

Currently,  I have 4 disck in my NAS.  (2) 2TB & (2) 1 TB drives.

The 2TB drives were setup as redundant stoage.  Meaning Drive 1 has data a-z and drive 2 has data A-Z.

Drive 3 & $ with lesser space was setup the same way.

I don't really understand what you are trying to say.  Do you have 4 volumes (one per disk) or do you have two RAID-1 volumes (one per disk pair)? Also what ReadyNAS model do you own, and what firmware is it running?

If you have a NAS that is running 4.2.x, 5.x or 6.x firmware, then xraid would give you 4 TB of total storage with this combination of disks.

But if you have a NAS that is running 4.1.x, then you'd only get 3 TB - you'd have to upgrade the two 1 TB drives to 2 TB ones to maximize space (which would give you 6 TB).

Message 2 of 10
Beluna
Aspirant

Currently, I have 4 indiviual volumes.  Each volume is a complete backup of the laptop.  Overkill, I know.

what I would like to do - and it seems your suggestion states I can - pair a 2TB & 1TB = 3 TB and then pair the other 2TB & 1 TB drive to make a second backup.  That's what I would like to do...

Last, if i do go the X-Raid method do I have to reformat all of the drives?

Thanks

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Beluna wrote:

Currently, I have 4 indiviual volumes.  Each volume is a complete backup of the laptop.  

Thanks, that helps.  What ReadyNAS model do you have?

@Beluna wrote:

what I would like to do - and it seems your suggestion states I can - pair a 2TB & 1TB = 3 TB and then pair the other 2TB & 1 TB drive to make a second backup.  That's what I would like to do...

I think the answer to that depends on which ReadyNAS you have.  I believe that RAID-0 requires the disks to be the same size (data is striped across the drives).  jbod is an option on OS 6 NAS and should be able to aggregate two drives of unequal size.  Either way the two volumes are fragile - if either drive fails you lose the data on both.  It's not a configuration I recommend.

@Beluna wrote:

Last, if i do go the X-Raid method do I have to reformat all of the drives?

Any change to your current volumes will destroy the data on the volumes you change.  One way to switch to XRAID is to do a factory default procedure from the ui.

Message 4 of 10
Beluna
Aspirant

Update.  

First I have the RN104, v6.6.0 os.

Did a factory reset... but I don't see the entire storage.

I put the 1 tb in disk 1!  1.5tb in disk 2 and 2tb in disk 3 & 4. My total shows 4tb.  Not the 6.5 I was expecting.  My understanding is the drives have to be equal or greater than disk 1.

Last, I w under the impression that after facto reset, I would be given the option to chose x-raid.

Before I start backing up is there a way to see / add the remaining 2.5 tb

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Beluna wrote:

I put the 1 tb in disk 1!  1.5tb in disk 2 and 2tb in disk 3 & 4. My total shows 4tb.  Not the 6.5 I was expecting.  My understanding is the drives have to be equal or greater than disk 1.

First: The capacity rule for XRAID single redundancy is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  That works out to 4.5TB, not 6.5TB.  The remaining space is needed for parity blocks that give you redundancy when a disk fails.

Second: The NAS displays space in TiB (though it labels it "TB").  1 TiB = 1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes; 1 TB = 1000*1000*1000*1000 bytes.  4.5 TB is the same as 4.09 TiB. There's a bit more overhead, and I think the NAS rounds down.

So 4 TiB is what you should be seeing.

Message 6 of 10
Beluna
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response. Got it.
Message 7 of 10
Beluna
Aspirant

Stephen, Ran into an issue and want to get it right before i start backing up. issue: Can't login to locan NAS only through the readycloud. Here's what happened. After I did a factory reset, it gave me the option to install from the cloud or local admin. It said i could add the other option later... so i chose the cloud. here's whats missing and maybe it's design that way... in the cloud i don't see the tabs, Systems, shares, volumes, setting apps, authentication. which I would normally see if i logged in locally. It only shows admin page in ready cloud... you can see preset folders but that's it. How do I install local admin from the cloud, or can I. If not what do i do besides formatting the RN again. For local login I'm using admin and my previous password but also tried admin and using password as the passwprd, but can't log in. Finally using the Raidar, I see all the drives but again I can login through the cloud, but not locally. Any suggestions
Message 8 of 10
Beluna
Aspirant

Solved. my network credential updated certifcate.. all is working. Thanks
Message 9 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Beluna,

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements