× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using readynas formatted disks in a EDA 500

frankpdx
Aspirant

Using readynas formatted disks in a EDA 500

I have one slot available in my readynas 516. If I switch out all my hard drives with higher capacity disk, is it possible to use my old drives in the eda500 as they are still good, they are just less capacity. I am curious as a new volume will be created in the EDA500, so I hupothetically believe this will work, but it is a pricy gamble for me to test this out.

Thank you and have a nice day,

Frank
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Using readynas formatted disks in a EDA 500

Do you already have the EDA500? If not, you may be better off getting a RN316 for a little more, but getting better performance.

It would be best to wipe the partition table off the old disks from the 516 before putting them into the EDA500.

If you have to you could disable X-RAID, create a volume using the disks in the EDA500 then turn X-RAID back on. The volume in the EDA500 is a separate volume so I think this shouldn't be necessary, but it is something that you can try if required.

Message 2 of 8
frankpdx
Aspirant

Thank you moderator.

The reason why I want to do this is I run a Plex server on my readynas, this is why I want to add an EDA500. If I get the RN316, will I be able to add it to a plex share on my RN516 as I do not think this will be possible because if this is the case, it seems I should have never bought a 516 at all as I thought I could just daisy chain EDA500s.

Thank you,

Frank
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@frankpdx wrote:
 I thought I could just daisy chain EDA500s.

You can (creating separate volumes on each).  mdgm is just pointing out that performance of a RN516+RN316 is generally better than an RN516+EDA500.  Two CPUs instead of one, four NICs instead of two...

@frankpdx wrote:
 If I get the RN316, will I be able to add it to a plex share on my RN516 as I do not think this will be possible

This is easy to do with plex running on a Windows PC (just enter \\nasname\sharename when you add a folder).  But I don't think that will work with the linux plex server - I think you'd have to mount the share on the RN516.  That is possible with ssh, but it would take some work if you want it to automount.

Message 4 of 8
frankpdx
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.

it appears I was wrong about the capabilities of the 516 as a plex server.

thank you,

Frank

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@frankpdx wrote:

it appears I was wrong about the capabilities of the 516 as a plex server.

I'm confused about what you mean here. Can you tell us what are wanting it to do?  

Neither mdgm nor I said the NAS won't stream with plex with EDA500s attached.

BTW, how much space do you need for your library now, and what disks are installed in the RN516?

Message 6 of 8
frankpdx
Aspirant

Thank you for your response Eric.

i use my 516 as a plex server as the CPU was more than sufficient for the transcoding I needed and I am/was under the assumption I could just add an EDA500 if I ran out of space.

Currently I have 5 of the bays filled with 4TB drives and I need to add more space.

What I am hoping I can do is this:

1 - Add a 6TB drive in my last slot.

2 - buy an EDA500 and two more 6TB drives when I can afford it.

3 - replace two of the 4TB drives with the 6TB and then reuse the 4TB drives in the EDA500.

And then replace the remains 4TB drives with 6TB drives as time goes on. My thinking is that I can still run the plex server on the 516, yet create new plex libraries on the EDA500 volume with the 4TB drives I will be taking out of the 516.

I hope this is the information you were inquiring about, and I thank you for your time and response.

Frank

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@frankpdx wrote:

My thinking is that I can still run the plex server on the 516, yet create new plex libraries on the EDA500 volume with the 4TB drives I will be taking out of the 516.

You should be able to do that.  I don't think the RN516 will read the EDA500 volume as quickly as it will the internal volume, but it should be more than fast enough to keep up with video streaming.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements