× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using second NIC for rsync

haachee
Aspirant

Using second NIC for rsync

Hello,

I have to Netgear ReadyNas Pro 6 running RAIDiator-x86 Version 4.2.27.  I was wondering if I could configure the second NIC on each device and use that to RSYNC the data from a volume from one unit to the other.  I was going to connect the second NICs to their own switch so the initial sync won't have too much of a negative impact on the network.  The main unit has about 5TB of used storage out of 10TB.

I have both units joined to a Windows Active Directory environment.

Please let me know if this is possible or if you need any further info from me.

Thanks in advance!.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Using second NIC for rsync

@haachee wrote:

I have to Netgear ReadyNas Pro 6 running RAIDiator-x86 Version 4.2.27.  I was wondering if I could configure the second NIC on each device and use that to RSYNC the data from a volume from one unit to the other.  I was going to connect the second NICs to their own switch so the initial sync won't have too much of a negative impact on the network.  

I haven't done this (instead my pro-6 is set up for LACP teaming).  But I believe it will work if you assign appropriate static addresses to both interfaces on each NAS.

I am wondering about the need though.  Most switches have enough bandwidth to maintain full speed for local traffic (all devices on the same switch).  If both NAS are on the same switch it is likely enough to simply enable teaming on the two NAS.

Message 2 of 6
haachee
Aspirant

So, the current backup used to be the master, but I had to swap them to resolve a different issue.  One of the issues is that the current backup was configured for only 10GB of Snapshot and this is not enough and the only way to change this is to do a factory default.

When I get it back up and running after the factory default, I'm going to have to sync about 5.5TB of data.  Yes, the my main switch should be able to handle it, but I figured that I have a spare 8 port switch lying around, so why risk any network latency issues for other users while this sync occurs.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

It should work.  I recall some bugs with static addresses which needed different subnet masks and gateways, though I don't recall details of what firmware was affected.  And it might not be your case anyway.

Message 4 of 6
haachee
Aspirant

So to be safe, should I put both on a second "dummy" subnet?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@haachee wrote:

So to be safe, should I put both on a second "dummy" subnet

Probably you should, otherwise the outbound traffic might use the main NIC.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements