× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using the RN102 behind a proxy.

TechKat
Aspirant

Using the RN102 behind a proxy.

We have a RN102 NAS in our school and we require it to make nightly backups.

However, there's a problem. The NAS can't reach the internet. Our proxy server is very restricted and quite complicated to get around.
The only solution to a successful internet connection is through our unauthenticated port, 8000.

Is there a way for us to tell the NAS to use the port 8000 on our proxy server to speak to the internet?
We need this urgently as our backups haven't been working and due to a small fire in the school a couple of days ago, we can't take any more chances.
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Using the RN102 behind a proxy.

What backup method are you using?
Message 2 of 4
TechKat
Aspirant

Rsync over Remote SSH.

Port 22 is definitely working as I've used it before to connect to external servers behind said proxy, but that usually works on the authenticated port (8080).
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I don't know of any easy way to change the rsync-over-ssh port. If you go in with ssh you could possibly put in your own cron job. You'd need your own logging, etc. of course.

I suppose you could also direct the backup to to a small proxy of your own (raspberry pi or similar) which forwarded all traffic on port 22 to/from 8000. Ugly though.

Perhaps one of the netgear folks here knows a better way to change the port.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements