× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: V4.2.28 firmware update failure

callowell
Tutor

V4.2.28 firmware update failure

Re your email update notification 11 November 2015

All attempts to 'upload and verify' (local from your download) fail.

I have A ReadyNAS Duo RND2000

Current firmware 4.1.14

Please advise

Message 1 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 4.2.28 firmware is for legacy x86 devices. You have a legacy Sparc device and 4.1.14 is the latest firmware for that.

Message 2 of 32
callowell
Tutor

OK so why send me an email advising me - and I quote:-

"The V4.2.28 firmware will be the last software release on all the select ReadyNAS products listed on the web page below, including yours, due to its end-of-life status."

...and on the 'page' refered to is listed my product ??

This wasn't very helpful was it !

Message 3 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree that was a mistake.

Message 4 of 32
bobbyv
Aspirant

I have the ReadyNAS Duo running 4.1.14, but don't know what a "Legacy Sparc" version is. So was this a mistake for me as well?

Message 5 of 32
bedlam1
Prodigy

I got the e:mail and downloaded the update as I have a Pro 4

After extracting and saving the firmware file from the Zip file I am totally unable to get my Pro 4 to update locally.

All I get, after a long wait, is an advisory message that "Local File Upload Failed"

Is the file corrupt or am I doing something stupid

Also a Remote "Check for Update"  advises me that I am "Already Running the latest firmware", which is RAIDiator 4.2.27

What is going on here??????

Message 6 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@bobbyv wrote:

...but don't know what a "Legacy Sparc" version is. So was this a mistake for me as well?

You have one.  Duo v1, NV, NV+, and several other old designs use a sparc processor.

Message 7 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

I got the e:mail and downloaded the update as I have a Pro 4

After extracting and saving the firmware file from the Zip file I am totally unable to get my Pro 4 to update locally.

All I get, after a long wait, is an advisory message that "Local File Upload Failed"

Is the file corrupt or am I doing something stupid

Also a Remote "Check for Update"  advises me that I am "Already Running the latest firmware", which is RAIDiator 4.2.27

What is going on here??????

It isn't on the update server yet (no idea why), so that's why check-for-update doesn't show it.

The manual process worked for me.  Are you running crashplan?  If so, you might have a full OS partition.

Message 8 of 32
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello bobbyv,

Sparc based NAS units are the ReadyNAS Duo v1 (RND2000v1) and ReadyNAS NV+ v1 (RND4000v1). Sparc based runs OS4 that is why all firmware version of Sparc starts with number 4. Same with Legacy x86/Intel based NAS units, they also run OS4.

Sparc based latest FW version  is 4.1.14.

Regards,

Message 9 of 32
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello bedlam1,

May I ask what is the exact file name (including the extension name) that you are trying to upload to the NAS?

Regards,

Message 10 of 32
DrawsACircle
Tutor

I tried to update my ReadyNas Ultra 2 from 4.2.27 - I get an error message stating 'Update file is not valid for this architecture' - it has been valid ever since 4,?,??

Guess Netgear needs to review either the file available for download or the list of NAS products

Message 11 of 32
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DrawsACircle,

Welcome to the community!

What is the FW version you are trying to upgrade to and the filename (include extension name) that you are uploading?

Regards, 

Message 12 of 32
DrawsACircle
Tutor

I'm trying to upgrade to 4.2.28 - the filename is: RAIDiator-x86-4.2.28.zip  (similar to firmware version 4.2.23 and 4.2.25 filenames)

Message 13 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@DrawsACircle wrote:

I tried to update my ReadyNas Ultra 2 from 4.2.27 - I get an error message stating 'Update file is not valid for this architecture' - it has been valid ever since 4,?,??

Guess Netgear needs to review either the file available for download or the list of NAS products

Did you remember to unzip?

Message 14 of 32
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DrawsACircle,

You need to unzip the folder then you will see 2 files inside. Release notes (HTML) and the firmware file. Use the firmware file, upload it to the NAS via FrontView.

Regards,

Message 15 of 32
bedlam1
Prodigy

Thanks for the responses

StephenB - No I am not running Crashplan

JennC - The file I am trying to upload is RAIDiator-x86-4.2.28

Message 16 of 32
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello bedlam1,

What web browser are you using? Have you tried a different web browser?

Regards,

Message 17 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

StephenB - No I am not running Crashplan

Good to know.  A recent crashplan update bug has been filling OS partitions on all ReadyNAS.  Do you run ReadyDLNA?  That's another add-on that can be problematic sometimes (run-away logs or cache).

Even though you don't have crashplan, it is still possible that you have a filling OS partition.  Upgrade failures are one sign.

If you have ssh installed, it is easily checked.  If you don't, you could try deleting the logs (DON'T download them first) and see if that helps.

Message 18 of 32
DrawsACircle
Tutor

I don't recall unzipping the other files - been a while since 4.2.27 - it works 🙂

Message 19 of 32
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DrawsACircle,

I downloaded the firmware myself just today and it appears to be a ZIP file, unzipped it and found 2 files, the release notes and the actual firmware file.

Regards,

Message 20 of 32
bedlam1
Prodigy

Stephen B - Yes I do use ReadyDNLA, I don't know how to use SSH etc, am just a basic user, my Pro 4 is at home and currently is at

2498 GB (45%) of 5543 GB used
Additional 10 GB reserved for snapshots

JennC - I have used Firefox and Edge, I have also downloaded the Netgear update several times just in case it was a download corruption

Message 21 of 32
bedlam1
Prodigy

Stephen B .......................................you are a star Sir!!!!

Cleared my logs, update validated, processed and now running V4.2.28

Thank you so much, but what can I do about my OS partion issue (if there is one) ?

Message 22 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@DrawsACircle wrote:

I don't recall unzipping the other files - been a while since 4.2.27 - it works 🙂

Manual downloads have always been zipped, and you need to unzip before you install.

Check-for-updates obviously just works, so you could wait for it to show up there.

Message 23 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

Thank you so much, but what can I do about my OS partion issue (if there is one) ?

If you are ok with enabling ssh, then do that  You'd install the x86 add-on here: http://www.readynas.com/?p=4203.  Then (with windows) you'd use a program called putty to access the NAS (a free download).  The user is root, the password is the admin password of the NAS.

From there, there are two simple commands to probe OS partition use.

df . -h

df . -i

You'd report back the output here, and then we'll see if there is still a problem.

Your other options:

(a) pay Netgear for per-incident support, and have them log in remotely and fix it

(b) hope a netgear person here offers to log in remotely (which sometimes happens)

(c) back up the data, do a factory reset, and rebuild the NAS and reload the data

With (a) I'd wait a bit and see if you see any other symptoms.  That would include settings not sticking, and the NAS disconnecting from the network.

Also, if you run ReadyDLNA there is a toggle add-on that can shift your DLNA cache to the data volume.  That often helps with a filling partition.  Let me know if that applies, and I can try to hunt down the link for you.

Message 24 of 32
bedlam1
Prodigy

OK StephenB, I bit the SSH and Putty bullet and the results are:-

Filesystem            Size   Used   Avail  Use%   Mounted on
                             4.0G  662M  3.2G  18%     //dev/md0 

Filesystem      Inodes    IUsed   IFree    IUse%   Mounted on
                       65536   17859   47677   28%    //dev/md0

Have I got a problem?

Apologies if I have gone off topic here

Message 25 of 32