× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Verification of ReadyNAS Duo Disk Upgrade Procedure

MaxPower1
Aspirant

Verification of ReadyNAS Duo Disk Upgrade Procedure

Hi All...

Just want to verify the proper way to upgrade my Duo.

Current Config:
Model: ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID]
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.7 [1.00a043]
Memory: 256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]
Volume C: Online, X-RAID, Single disk, 73% of 461 GB used

I'm getting ready to put two 1-TB disks in. My understanding is that this is the procedure I should use to retain my data:

1) Install a single 1-TB disk in the open slot (this can be hot-swapped).
2) Wait until the data is replicated (could take anywhere from 30 min, to 12 hours - more the later given the amount of data I have)
3) Once replicated, remove the 500 GB disk, and replace with second 1-TB disk (can this be hot as well, or is a shutdown required?)

I just want to make sure the above steps are correct.

Thanks!
Max
Message 1 of 5
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: Verification of ReadyNAS Duo Disk Upgrade Procedure

Correct (hot swap is the way to go)

Also - you may have missed Step 0) Backup your data to an external drive (ie no point taking unnecessary risks, however minor)
Message 2 of 5
MaxPower1
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:

Also - you may have missed Step 0) Backup your data to an external drive (ie no point taking unnecessary risks, however minor)

Awesome point! As far as backups are concern, should I use an external USB drive, or should I put it temporarily on my machine (provided I have the drive space)?

Thanks for the help!
Max
Message 3 of 5
sphardy1
Apprentice

Whichever is most convenient

However, your reference to 'temporarily' copying the data to your PC suggests you are not already backing up your NAS. I would recommend investing in an external USB drive and using that - not just for the upgrade but for regular backups afterwards - as a very low cost way to further secure your data
Message 4 of 5
PapaBear1
Guide

If you ever have any problems with the NAS, the backup is your data's life preserver. Never ever trust critical or important data to only one device. When I copy photos from my camera to the NAS, I wait until a backup has been performed before erasing them from the camera. An NAS no matter how many drives, no redundancy, single redundancy or dual redundancy is still just one device. Upgrades of the OS, and drive addition or replacement is when the array is most vulnerable. The resync process puts a lot of strain on all the drives because they are working hard for hours at a time.

If you ever get yourself into the position of adding a second ReadyNAS, the best backup device for a ReadyNAS is a second one. It is faster, and can be set up to automatically mirror the other (via rsync) on a scheduled basis. It took me three years to get to that point and I would not want to go back.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements