× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Vertical Expansion RN316 6x4TB to 6x6TB using X-RAID

creifle
Guide

Vertical Expansion RN316 6x4TB to 6x6TB using X-RAID

I currently am running a ReadyNAS RN316 6x4TB in X-RAID, firmware 6.7.5.  I want to vertically expand to 6x6TB.  How many disks do I replace before I see an expansion of the volume?

Everything I read may indicate that I have to replace all 6 disks.  Surely only two disks need to be replaced and I can replace the other four as additional expansion is needed. Right?  Or am I just wishing it were so?

Thanks in advance.

Model: RN31664E|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x4TB Enterprise Drive
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Vertical Expansion RN316 6x4TB to 6x6TB using X-RAID

If you're using the default single-redundancy then you only need to replace two disks (one at a time of course, wait for resync to complete before moving onto the next disk) to start to get vertical expansion. If you're using dual-redundancy (uses RAID-6) then four disks would need to be replaced (one at a time of course...) to start to get vertical expansion.

You should download the logs and make sure that your regular backup (e.g. to a USB disk, another NAS etc.) is up to date before you start and also check the SMART stats of the disks. If disks are failing then those disks should be replaced first.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Vertical Expansion RN316 6x4TB to 6x6TB using X-RAID

If you're using the default single-redundancy then you only need to replace two disks (one at a time of course, wait for resync to complete before moving onto the next disk) to start to get vertical expansion. If you're using dual-redundancy (uses RAID-6) then four disks would need to be replaced (one at a time of course...) to start to get vertical expansion.

You should download the logs and make sure that your regular backup (e.g. to a USB disk, another NAS etc.) is up to date before you start and also check the SMART stats of the disks. If disks are failing then those disks should be replaced first.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements