× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Vertical volum expansion of X-RAID RN10400 : How many disk swap to note a volume change ?

Olbom
Aspirant

Vertical volum expansion of X-RAID RN10400 : How many disk swap to note a volume change ?

Hello the Netgear community.

I do own 2 RN10400 and am very satisfied with them. 

I would like to expand volume of my 4x2TB one. Placing month after month 4 WD 4TB disks. 

I understood I can change disks one by one using hotswap feature and I must wait for the rebuild process to be done. Pretty handy method, compared to other "total backup" ones !

My questions : 

Will a see a "volume change" result after the 1st 4TB is installed and synced ? 

If not, how many disks should I swap before noting the volume expansion ? 

Do I need a NAS reboot to note it ? 

Best, Olivier 

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Olbom
Aspirant

Re: Vertical volum expansion of X-RAID RN10400 : How many disk swap to note a volume change ?

Hello, 

just to close this subject : I could gain 1,24TB of secured data, changing 2x2TB HDD with 2x4TB ones in my Neadynas RAID-X system. First disk resync is quite long, second one is much faster, but everything ran clean. Many thanks to StephenB and Bedlam1 for all your kind and patient advices ...

Nice product ! 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Vertical volum expansion of X-RAID RN10400 : How many disk swap to note a volume change ?

@Olbom wrote:

Will I see a "volume change" result after the 1st 4TB is installed and synced ?  

No.

@Olbom wrote:

If not, how many disks should I swap before noting the volume expansion ?  

It will increase by 2 TB when the second disk's resync is complete.

The third and forth disks upgrades will also result in a 2 TB expansion (6 TB total).

The NAS reports TiB (1024*1024*1024*1024), not TB (1000*1000*1000*1000) so it will report somewhat smaller values.

@Olbom wrote:

Do I need a NAS reboot to note it ? 

It will need to reboot partway through the second disk drive. The first step on that disk is resyncing the original 2 TB.  A reboot is needed to start the second phase of vertical expansion (when the space increases).  You likely will need to do that boot manually (the web ui will tell you). 

Message 2 of 13
Olbom
Aspirant

Many thanks StephenB for the quick and very complete answer ! This "case study" should be written somewhere in the READYNAS manual ...

Then I will buy 2 4TB disks and swap them accordingly ! Really nice to double NAS capacity so easily !

best, Olivier

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

It is easy, but I should warn you that the resyncs will take a while (esp the last three).  The bigger the volume the longer the resyncs take (everything on every disk is touched during the process).  On the RN100 you will also see a performance dropoff during the resyncs.

Also with RAID the volume is not protected during the resyncs. Though it almost always goes smoothly, maintaining backups is a really good idea.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Message 4 of 13
Olbom
Aspirant

Hello StephenB, 

I decided to move on, so I bought a SEAGATE Video 4TB brand new disk. Hot-pulled out the 4th disk of the 104, placed the Seagate inside. The web interface of READYNAS identified the 4th disk as 4TB, said "Resync in process" . Everything seemed to work fine, resync reaches around 4% ... But I lost the web interface, and READYNAS shows the following :"btrfs_search_forward+2ac". It is normal ? If not, what is happening ?

For your information, I kept the 4th disk (2TB WD Green) ... If there is still a way to bring everything back to normal !

Message 5 of 13
Olbom
Aspirant

I precise that I chose X-RAID Raid 5 storage system. 

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

Message 7 of 13
Olbom
Aspirant

SYstem is now ok : Resync process  for more than 5 hours now.

As the system seemed to be stuck in this mode, I powered it down, and reinstalled OS. System then accepted once new the 4TB disk and began resync. 

I can access all the files normally, but I do not know if I lost some or not. Only movies and documentaries ...

The main difference I see now : 

The previous  total volume was very big : Less than 10% of the volume was free, with a huge "yellow" part. 500GB free over 5,46TB in total. Right now it is :

Capture.JPG

The "instantanés" were much bigger in previous mode : I read somewhere than Btrfs system is generating such data : Did I loose something or it is a normal behaviour ? Again, no fuss, potential data lost are "movies" and can be retrieved elsewhere ...

Many thanks for your help, 

Olivier

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

The yellow part ("instantanés" -> "snapshots" in English) are old versions of files, not the current versions.  The system will automatically delete these if the volume gets too full (and the default snapshots settings also do some pruning).

So losing the "yellow" section shouldn't have cost you any data.  

You should keep an eye on the space used be snapshots usage, and manually delete old snapshots if the space needed seems excessive. Personally I use custom snapshot settings because I can set a limit on how old they can be.

Message 9 of 13
Olbom
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for the useful information. I am not familiar at all with NAS technology, and I do have another READYNAS 104 really full of data. I would appreciate to clean it up, now that I am aware of those "snapshot" files. 

If I may : How do I locate those "snapshot" files ? Specific directory, extension ? 

Best, Olivier 

Message 10 of 13
bedlam1
Prodigy

In the Admin Page Click "Shares" look to the right of that page and click "Snapshots" (Instantanes ?)

A page will open with a list of folders, open one and a snapshot list will appear, right click to see available actions, one is Delete

Message 11 of 13
Olbom
Aspirant

Found ! Thanks Bediam1

I now need to read much more info about NAS management ...

Message 12 of 13
Olbom
Aspirant

Hello, 

just to close this subject : I could gain 1,24TB of secured data, changing 2x2TB HDD with 2x4TB ones in my Neadynas RAID-X system. First disk resync is quite long, second one is much faster, but everything ran clean. Many thanks to StephenB and Bedlam1 for all your kind and patient advices ...

Nice product ! 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements