× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Vertically expanding 104: Can I change 1 drive only?

MikeMartin
Aspirant

Vertically expanding 104: Can I change 1 drive only?

I will soon have a 104 with the following X-RAID2 drives installed:
1 TB
1 TB
2 TB

I believe this will give about 2 TB of space. My plan is to add a 4TB drive in a year or so. After expansion should I get ~4 TB total space?

I then hope later to hot swap out one of the 1 TB drives (which will likely need to be retired anyhow) with another 4 TB drive, rebuild, and expand. However page 33 of the software manual states that X-RAID2 Vertical expansion requires me to swap out 2 drives. Is this correct? Once the array is rebuilt will it stay at ~4 TB or will it expand to incorporate the larger drive (~7 TB)?

Basically is this correct (if done without a wipe and restore):
1+1+2 = 2
add a 4
1+1+2+4 = 4
swap a 1 for a 4
4+1+2+4 = 7
swap again
4+4+2+4 = 10
one last time
4+4+4+4 = 12
stop hoarding data....or buy another!

Thanks for your help!
Message 1 of 4
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Vertically expanding 104: Can I change 1 drive only?

Message 2 of 4
MikeMartin
Aspirant

Thanks Vandermerwe,

The first site is where I got the sizes from. Unfortunately the sites don't take into account the upgrade sequence, only what the final capacity could be with a fresh install. I need to know specifically whether an upgrade of a single drive in X-RAID2 will expand vertically. The software manual states that you must upgrade 2.
Message 3 of 4
vandermerwe
Master

All it needs is to be able to create redundant space. The advice that you need to upgrade 2 drives assumes that all the existing drives are the same size.
In your situation that is not the case. The calculators will give you the approximate volume size regardless of the orde of disk additions - although any new disk must of course be the same size or larger than existing disks.

Your original post is therefore correct given that you will be adding 4 tb drives progressively.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements