× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Very Slow Read/Write and Time Machine Backup

SoundmanArt
Apprentice

I have turned off IPV6 and will try another copy.  If I see it bogging down again, I will just abort it instead of running it the entire 3 hours has I have been.

I used to be very comfortable with Unix, but it's been many, many years.  Without instructions, I doubt I could figure out top.

Will the other 2 gentlemen see this link because you added their names or do I need to contact them individually?

Message 51 of 56
StephenB
Guru

@SoundmanArt wrote:

Will the other 2 gentlemen see this link because you added their names or do I need to contact them individually?

The @ should give them a notification.  But it does no harm to send them a private message and ask for their help.  Use the envelope icon on the upper right of the forum for that.

Message 52 of 56
SoundmanArt
Apprentice

Copying without IP6 produced the same results.

Message 53 of 56
StephenB
Guru

@SoundmanArt wrote:

Copying without IP6 produced the same results.

I was afraid that would be the case.  Then I am out of ideas.

Message 54 of 56
SoundmanArt
Apprentice

Well thanks for trying. I did PM the other 2 gentlemen.  If nothing soon, time to place a warranty claim I'm afraid.

Message 55 of 56
SoundmanArt
Apprentice

I thought I'd close this discussion with the final outcome.

I did open a ticket with Netgear.  They did replace the unit.  But it was still dreadfully slow.  It must be something in their OS that makes writes of small files dreadfully slow.  I even tried it on a high end Windows PC.  Same slow speeds.

And I did once again verify that I did not have these slow speeds with an old Buffalo NAS that I still had lying around.  I got between 30-45 MB/second with that vs the 1 MB/second with the Netgear NAS.

So I ended up purchasing a 5-bay USB-C drive enclosure to connect to my Mac.  Of course, I get blazing speeds with this.

For now, I've put some old 3TB drives into the RN3138 and I've relegated it to be a backup NAS for my small computers.

If/when they ever fix this issue, I might come back.  But I don't expect that to ever happen.

VERY DISAPPOINTING!

Message 56 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 55 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements