× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Virtual Machine support on ReadyNAS 104?

lucidr3v3ri3
Tutor

Virtual Machine support on ReadyNAS 104?

Hi all,

My apologies if there is another thread for this already, but I'm not finding anything for my ReadyNAS 104 regarding VM support (most of the stuff is at least a couple of years old and doesn't quite apply). What I'm wondering about is whether the 104 (running firmware revision 6.1.8) has native support for hosting VMs. I'd like to decommission a server that's alive just for two older VMs and I'm not having any luck figuring it out. Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Ben
Message 1 of 3
JabbaTheHutt
Tutor

There is no hypervisor running on any of the ReadyNAS products. You can use ReadyNAS as a storage target for a hypervisor (either NFS or iSCSI). Please evaluate if the RN104 performance would meet your virtualization performance requirements. Hypervisors don't like latency and if the throughput of the RN104 can't keep up with the hypervisor, the hypervisor may drop the storage device thinking it is offline. Users do use the ReadyNAS 100 series in virtual environments, but the use cases need to be scoped properly. If you need higher performance, upgrade to a ReadyNAS 300 or 500 series product.
Message 2 of 3
lucidr3v3ri3
Tutor

Thanks, Jabba. That's what I needed to hear. As Han Solo said, you're a fine human being.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements