× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Virus Definitions Not Updating ReadyNAS v6.9.5

Scottdog129
Aspirant

Virus Definitions Not Updating ReadyNAS v6.9.5

Says to check the internet connection, but how do I do that?  The IPs look fine for the network as that was the first thing I checked.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: Virus Definitions Not Updating ReadyNAS v6.9.5

Well, the antivirus package was removed for RN100 systems in the (recently released) 6.10.0 firmware. The platform no longer has the capacity to run all the services.

I suggest just turning off the service now, and find an alternative way to scan the NAS data volume if you need one. 

There are several folks here who also are reporting full OS partitions in their RN100 systems due to the AV package.  Are you also seeing that? 

Message 2 of 13
Scottdog129
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, in fact I AM seeing that error.  I was looking into the SSH solution, but I cannot figure it out.  Turning off the real-time AV will fix this as well?

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Turning off AV will keep the problem from getting any worse, but it won't fix it.

Where are you getting stuck on the ssh process?  Are you using this guide: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-90-RN...

Message 4 of 13
Scottdog129
Aspirant

I was trying to use a 3rd party SSH software.  I am now in a commmand prompt in Windows 10 and it's saying Permission denied (public key)

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Did you enable SSH in the NAS Web UI (system->settings->SSH).

Are you running ssh root@nas-ip-address from the windows search bar or are you trying to run something from CMD?

Message 6 of 13
Scottdog129
Aspirant

Yes, SSH is enabled.  I was trying to run it from a command prompt.  When I try to run it from the search bar, the black box appears and disappears in a second.

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Scottdog129 wrote:

Yes, SSH is enabled.  I was trying to run it from a command prompt.  When I try to run it from the search bar, the black box appears and disappears in a second.

You need to include the root@nas-ip-address in the command as I posted above.  Just entering "ssh" will dismiss it.

If ssh is enabled should open a box that prompts for your password.  For example, my main NAS has IP address 10.0.0.15.  Entering ssh root@10.0.0.15 gives me this:

ssh.png

Also, check the settings in web ui. System->services->settings->ssh should have both Enable ssh and Enable password authentication checked.

Message 8 of 13
Scottdog129
Aspirant

I didnt have passwrod auth enabled.  Its working now.  Is the root password the same as the admin password?

Message 9 of 13
Scottdog129
Aspirant

I got in.  

capture-0166.jpg

What do I have to do to eliminate the issue with the AV clogging?  Thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

The commands you need to enter are listed in the post I referred you to before: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-90-RN...

As it says:

Be careful on the typing of the commands below. Be sure to use the correct slash direction, etc.

After you are logged in, you enter

cd /var/lib/clamav
ls -lsh

You should now see a folder listing, with some folders that look like clamav-<very long string>.tmp

If you don't see these tmp folders, then post back and tell us what you do see.

If you do see these tmp folders, then you remove them by entering

rm -r clamav-*.tmp
ls -lsh

You should now see a second folder listing, and those tmp folders should be gone.

@asimb posted a screen shot showing these commands (along with a du -h that shows you the space usage).  I've reposted that below.clamav_remove_forum.jpg

Message 11 of 13
Scottdog129
Aspirant

Sorry.  I got busy.  I'll try this now.  Thank you very much!

Message 12 of 13
Scottdog129
Aspirant

Got it.  Here is the result:
capture-0174.jpg

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation