× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Voltage warning

debumitra
Tutor

Voltage warning

Hello,

At 8:14PM (4/11/2020) I got this System Warning: System: V5_0 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (-1.00 V).

What does this mean? Does it have anything to do with the AC Adapter?

If yes, please advise if I need to replace the AC Adapter (MODEL CAM090121)? Where do I get one?

Thanks.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@debumitra wrote:

At 8:14PM (4/11/2020) I got this System Warning: System: V5_0 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (-1.00 V).

What does this mean? Does it have anything to do with the AC Adapter?

Well, it means that the voltage is quite a bit lower than it should be.

It could be related to the power brick, but it is also possible (perhaps more likely) that something is failing on the system board. 

If the NAS is still under warranty (5 years from the date of purchase), you should probably contact paid support (my.netgear.com) and arrange for an RMA (warranty replacement).

If not, you could try a risk-buy of the power adapter and see if that changes anything.

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

There is no way your NAS is operating with the +5V bus at -1V, so something has gone wrong with the monitor circuit or the configuration file has become corrupt.  I suspect the hardware is the issue, because it would take quite a configuration file corruption to get a negative value for the positive voltage.

If you are comfortable with SSH, the system configuration file at /etc/sensors.d/system.conf should point to /etc/frontview/sensors/RN314.conf and contain the following:

label in1 "V5_0"
        set in1_min 4.7
        set in1_max 5.3
        compute in1 @*1.732, @/1.732

If everythng looks OK there, you could change the alarm limits just to keep from getting the warnings.  If you do that, it is best to replace the link in /etc/sensors.d with a copy of the /etc/frontview/sensors/RN314.conf  file and then modify that copy so system updates won't undo your change.  Note that if you do that and you later migrate the volume to a different model chassis, I'm not sure what issues that might cause if you don't undo it first.

Message 3 of 5
debumitra
Tutor

Sandshark,

Many thanks for your thoughtful answer. I did SSH into the NAS and checked the configuration file RN314.conf. There is nothing wrong with it - no corruption.

I guess that this implies that the monitoring circuit has gone bad.

What does a bad monitoring circuit mean in terms of the longevity of the NAS hardware? Is it just an annoyance or does it mean that the NAS will dies soon? The NAS was purchased in May, 2013. So it is out of warranty.

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thank you again.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

That one voltage monitor having a problem is mostly an annoyance, though you will now never know if a real problem arises.  Without a schematic, it's hard to say if the problem can propagate to anything else.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements