× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Volume Expansion

syphonct
Aspirant

Volume Expansion

Running a ReadyNAS 516, currently on firmware v6.10.1 and is showing it as "XRAID", not XRAID2. Has (6) 3TB drives and I'm running low on space. I found a drive on the drive compatibility guide that would work (ST8000VN0022) which is a Seagate 8TB drive.

I'm looking to replace 1 drive at a time until they all resync and then expand the volume to 48TB which would be 30TB increase but I've been reading conflicting things on the boards. I saw older posts, mostly referencing v4 of the firmware that you cannot expand beyond 10TB wiping destroying the array. 

Is there any limitation on my box or will I have no problem doing a vertical expansion on this box by replacing all the drives with much larger ones and without losing any data?

Model: RN51663E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay 6x3TB Enterprise Drive
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, it just says XRAID instead of XRAID2.  But it is a newer version than on the legacy models.  For one thing, the expansion limits you have read about do not exist on your NAS.

I personally tink it is a really bad idea to not have a separate forum area for legacy models, as quite a few things are different with them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, it just says XRAID instead of XRAID2.  But it is a newer version than on the legacy models.  For one thing, the expansion limits you have read about do not exist on your NAS.

I personally tink it is a really bad idea to not have a separate forum area for legacy models, as quite a few things are different with them.

Message 2 of 4
syphonct
Aspirant

gotcha, so there shouldn't be a problem at all doing what i want to do. no volume expansion limitations or anything. just replace 1 disk at a time, let it resync everything then continue to the next drive until all 6 are done.

Model: RN51663E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay 6x3TB Enterprise Drive
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@syphonct wrote:

gotcha, so there shouldn't be a problem at all doing what i want to do. no volume expansion limitations or anything. just replace 1 disk at a time, let it resync everything then continue to the next drive until all 6 are done.

Correct. 

Your data is at risk during the resync (since the volume is not protected during that process).  So I do recommend making a backup.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements