× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume Is Degraded - Have two six bay units - Need help with logs

egranuloma
Aspirant

Volume Is Degraded - Have two six bay units - Need help with logs

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus and a ReadyNAS Pro both running 6.6.1 with firmware 07/26/2010FLAME6-MBV2.0.

ReadyNAS Ultra 6

I just replaced drive '0' from a 1tb to a 2tb and now it is telling me that the "Volume is degraded", even after it resync'd twice.

Everything was fine before I replaced drive '0', but I fear that I might have other issues.

I have read here that I should look at Reallocated Sectors / Events and the ATA Error Count and they seem fine on drive 0 but are not looking good on drive 4.

Alos, the other day, for like 20 seconds when I was in the admin console it said "fan not running" or something like that, I only saw that for 20 seconds out of approx. 10 hours messing with this mess.

ReadyNAS Pro

I set this machine up to copy my important data from the Ultra unit but I am a little nervous because some of the drives in it have noticeable Reallocated Sectors / Events and ATA Error Counts.

Status

I am currently copying the important data from the Ultra to the Pro but I feel, in the end, I will essentially have two machines running close to death.

I have the log zips from both machines if someone could take a look at them.

I am getting to the point that if need be I will just buy six new 3tb drives and start from scratch with one unit.

Questions:

1. Could someone look at my logs and tell me if my machines are all jammed up.

2. What drives should I get? I was looking at the WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - WD30EFRX

3. What machine should I put them in, what machine is better?

4. I heard that if you have two units, say a Ultra and a Pro both running the same version that if one box failed you could take the drives out of the one and put them in the other and be up and running....is that true? 

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Volume Is Degraded - Have two six bay units - Need help with logs

@egranuloma wrote:

ReadyNAS Pro

I set this machine up to copy my important data from the Ultra unit but I am a little nervous because some of the drives in it have noticeable Reallocated Sectors / Events and ATA Error Counts.

What counts are you seeing?  What drives are you using now?

@egranuloma wrote:

2. What drives should I get? I was looking at the WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - WD30EFRX

I like the WDC Reds myself, though Seagate IronWolf is another reasonable choice.  NAS-purposed drives are good choices.  The "Pro" versions (both ironwolf pro and wdc red pro) have enterprise specs, which some people like.  They also consume more power, and run hotter.  I've gotten good performance with the regular NAS-purposed drives myself (WD30EFRX in my pro-6, WD60EFRX and WD80EFZX in my OS-6 ReadyNAS)

@egranuloma wrote:

3. What machine should I put them in, what machine is better?

The basic hardware is the same.  It's really about which NAS you have the most confidence in.  That sounds like the Pro at the moment.

Though you could of course make the Pro your main NAS and use the ultra plus as your backup.  In that case you want heathy disks in both.

@egranuloma wrote:

4. I heard that if you have two units, say a Ultra and a Pro both running the same version that if one box failed you could take the drives out of the one and put them in the other and be up and running....is that true? 

Yes. And since you are running OS 6, you can also migrate the drives to other OS6 NAS (for instance an RN526).

Message 2 of 4
egranuloma
Aspirant

StephenB, can I send you my logs?, I am unsure how to...

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@egranuloma wrote:

StephenB, can I send you my logs?, I am unsure how to...

I don't work for Netgear, and it would be better if one of their folks take a look.  For instance @mdgm-ntgr  You could send them to him; if you do that I suggest a PM asking him to look (using the "messages" facility on the upper right).

http://kb.netgear.com/21543/How-do-I-send-all-logs-to-ReadyNAS-Community-moderators?cid=wmt_netgear_...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements