× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume Size incorrect on RN314

jdr03
Aspirant

Volume Size incorrect on RN314

Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS RN314 and when I set it up a few weeks ago, I used 3 x 2TB drives. From memory, this reported the effective disk space as 3.45TB which seemed ok to me.

Over the last few days, I have exchanged the three drives one by one for new 4TB drives, waiting each time for the raid to rebuild the added disk. It all seems to work fine but with 3 x 4TB drives, I would have expected effective disk space to increase to around 7.5TB but the single volume "data" (containing data, snapshots and free space) is only showing as a totla of 5.45TB. X-RAID is active and the type is shown as RAID 5.

Have I missed something? I was expecting the combination of three identical disks to result in an effective capacity of two disks with the third for data protection. Hopefully I don't need to do a full backup and then format all the disks and rebuild the volume, not doing this was an attraction of X-RAID.

I didn't find anything in a search, apologies if I have missed the answer. I'd appreciate any assistance to solve this.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Volume Size incorrect on RN314

Your volume is currently resyncing. I would wait for this sync to complete.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried a reboot?

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)

Message 2 of 8
jdr03
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. I have emailed the logs now.

I have rebooted approx 3 times without any difference in the reported volume size.

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your volume is currently resyncing. I would wait for this sync to complete.

Message 4 of 8
jdr03
Aspirant

Ok, I'll do this before reporting back. Thanks again for the quick replies.

Message 5 of 8
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

It's still working on it.  Once the RAID reshape is done, it'll grow to use the new space.

In the future, if you plan to replace *all* the drives with larger drives in one shot, it'd be quicker to just switch to Flex-RAID mode.  Flex-RAID will still expand automatically, but not until all the disks in the system have available space.  X-RAID does immediate incremental expansion, which requires a lot more data shuffling.

Message 6 of 8
jdr03
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip Skywalker. I obviously wrongly assumed that once the status returned from degraded to redundant that it was ok to change another disk.

Resync is at 75% and I'll hopefully see the extra space in a few hours time.

Message 7 of 8
jdr03
Aspirant

The resync finally finished moments ago. After a reboot, I now see a volume size of 7.27GB.

Thankyou mdgm and also Skywalker.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements