× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Volume Sync stops

satrijoe
Aspirant

Volume Sync stops

I've got an old ReadyNas Duo that has stopped responding. The only way to restart it is by unplugging the power cord. After reboot, it does the quota check procedure, and goes up to 6% of the volume resync and then it hangs.

Question: Should I remove one of the disks and reboot again? Reinstall the OS? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

----

This is the information that I captured after the last reboot:

Hostname: nas-5E-2C-3C

Model: ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID]
Serial: 24M3027T007A8
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043]
Memory: 256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]

IPv4 address:: 192.168.1.78

Volume C: Online, X-RAID, 2 disks, 98% of 1853 GB used

SMART Information for Disk 1

Model: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Serial: WD-WMAZA0379771
Firmware: 50.0AB50
SMART Attribute
Raw Read Error Rate 160
Spin Up Time 5300
Start Stop Count 76
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Seek Error Rate 0
Power On Hours 48945
Spin Retry Count 0
Calibration Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 74
Power-Off Retract Count 73
Load Cycle Count 1414098
Temperature Celsius 41
Reallocated Event Count 0
Current Pending Sector 1455
Offline Uncorrectable 28
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Multi Zone Error Rate 2878
ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute
Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 4665
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 5
Retries 5
Repaired sectors 0

SMART Information for Disk 2

Model: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Serial: WD-WCAZA9808944
Firmware: 51.0AB51
SMART Attribute
Raw Read Error Rate 0
Spin Up Time 4975
Start Stop Count 7072
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Seek Error Rate 0
Power On Hours 35950
Spin Retry Count 0
Calibration Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 66
Power-Off Retract Count 55
Load Cycle Count 114672
Temperature Celsius 41
Reallocated Event Count 0
Current Pending Sector 3
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Multi Zone Error Rate 8
ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute
Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 6
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 5
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0

Model: RND2000v1|READYNAS DUO v1|EOL
Message 1 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

I believe that is a good plan, and you should do it with Drive 2.  The high pending sector count, raw read errors, and other errors suggest Drive 1 is failing.  Assuming that works, backup your data, then replace Drive 1 with a suitable (not Green) drive.  And be prepared to replace drive 2 before long as well.  It does not have nearly as many load cycles as the other (likely because of the newer firmware version), but it does already have some pending sectors.

Message 2 of 16
StephenB
Guru

WD20EFRX are good replacements for the old WDC green drives you are using.  They are intended for NAS use, and work well in ReadyNAS Duo v1s.

Message 3 of 16
satrijoe
Aspirant

OK, I removed disk 1. Trying to backup the share but it is not even starting the backup as there is some sort of problem with the connection (backup log message below)

rsync is enabled on my unit. What should be my next step here? I am reluctant to reinstall the OS as I don't have a backup of this data (I know, shame on me). Thx!

---

Backup Status: Fail: Failure during copy.

Failed to run rsync, return rc 10
'rsync' command returns rc=10

rsync: failed to connect to 192.168.1.78 (192.168.1.78): Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(125) [Receiver=3.1.2]

Message 4 of 16
satrijoe
Aspirant

Forgot to mention that when creating the backup job, it did require a port number (I put 6000 as I didn't find any reference that a specific port number should be used). I wonder if that is my problem.

Message 5 of 16
satrijoe
Aspirant

I was thinking maybe I should get a USB disk and do a local backup instead of ReadyNAS to ReadyNAS. Thoughts?

Message 6 of 16
satrijoe
Aspirant

Bought the USB drive. Back up is working but it is going to take days to complete...

Message 7 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

The standard port for rsync is 873.  Unless the rsync server to which you are sending the data uses a non-standard port, that's the one you need to use.

Message 8 of 16
satrijoe
Aspirant

Thx for the info. I should have made a simple search for "Standard rsync port". Duh! Anyway. Will let the bakcup to the USB drive finish and retry using rsync to my other ReadyNas duo.

Do you think I should insert the new HDD (not arrived yet) as is or try to reinstall the OS first?

Thank you!

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@satrijoe wrote:

Do you think I should insert the new HDD (not arrived yet) as is or try to reinstall the OS first?

There's no need to reinstall the OS.  All you should need to do is hot-insert the new disk (after the backup completes).

Message 10 of 16
satrijoe
Aspirant

Update:

USB Drive backup completed but... Going back to the log, it says there were errors. I tried to download the full system log and the zip file is corrupted.

Just waiting for the new disks (bought the red ones as per recommendation) to arrive and start the replacement process.

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Make sure the rsync backup job is set to incremental, and then try running it again.  It should complete quickly (only trying to copy files that weren't transfered the first time).

Message 12 of 16
satrijoe
Aspirant

Update:

Got the new disk (WD Red) as recommended. Replaced disk 1, resync went fine. Status is healthy on both SMART+ reports on the bottom).

But...

Ran backup on USB drive and it gave me a bunch of  "cp: cannot stat  Input/output error". Any ideas as to why the backup is still failing? Any workarounds?

Thank you!

SMART Information for Disk 1

Model:WDC WD20EFRX-68EUZN0
Serial:WD-WCC4M3NCRNZ1
Firmware:82.00A82

SMART Attribute

Raw Read Error Rate0
Spin Up Time0
Start Stop Count1
Reallocated Sector Count0
Seek Error Rate0
Power On Hours11
Spin Retry Count0
Calibration Retry Count0
Power Cycle Count1
Power-Off Retract Count0
Load Cycle Count6
Temperature Celsius37
Reallocated Event Count0
Current Pending Sector0
Offline Uncorrectable0
UDMA CRC Error Count0
Multi Zone Error Rate0

ATA Error Count0

Extended Attribute

Hot-add events0
Hot-remove events0
Lp stat events13
Power glitches0
Hard disk resets0
Retries0
Repaired sectors0

SMART Information for Disk 2

Model:WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Serial:WD-WCAZA9808944
Firmware:51.0AB51

SMART Attribute
Raw Read Error Rate0
Spin Up Time6366
Start Stop Count7076
Reallocated Sector Count0
Seek Error Rate0
Power On Hours36139
Spin Retry Count0
Calibration Retry Count0
Power Cycle Count70
Power-Off Retract Count59
Load Cycle Count114672
Temperature Celsius38
Reallocated Event Count0
Current Pending Sector3
Offline Uncorrectable0
UDMA CRC Error Count0
Multi Zone Error Rate12

ATA Error Count0

Extended Attribute
Hot-add events0
Hot-remove events0
Lp stat events4
Power glitches0
Hard disk resets0
Retries0
Repaired sectors0
Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

How is the USB drive formatted?  How big is the USB drive?  A duo V1 can't handle a USB drive bigger than 2 TB.

If it is a format windows supports, try putting the USB drive into a Windows PC.  It likely will offer to "repair" the file system - if it does that, let it.

FWIW, USB backup on a duo v1 is extremely slow.  You will get faster speeds if you connect the drive to a PC and back up over a wired Network.  If you do it that way, you can use something like FreeFileSync or Teracopy, you don't need to use the built-in backup.

Message 14 of 16
satrijoe
Aspirant

It is important to mention that the USB drive is there to back up the NAS data which came from old laptops that are now in computer heaven. I am doing current back-up on the cloud.

----

How is the USB drive formatted? EXT3

How big is the USB drive? 2TB (it is 1.8GB occupied)

A duo V1 can't handle a USB drive bigger than 2 TB.

If it is a format windows supports, try putting the USB drive into a Windows PC.  It likely will offer to "repair" the file system - if it does that, let it.

From what I've seen on a different thread, I would need to install drivers for my Windows PC to be able to read/write on the EXT3 formatted drive. Having said that, I tend to believe that the repair would be required on the NAS disk and not on the USB drive. Am I wrong?

FWIW, USB backup on a duo v1 is extremely slow. I painfully noticed that.

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@satrijoe wrote:

From what I've seen on a different thread, I would need to install drivers for my Windows PC to be able to read/write on the EXT3 formatted drive. 

OSX and Windows are quite forgiving on USB drive ejection.  Linux isn't, so if the drive is pulled without being ejected (or even if the system is forcibly shut down with the drive mounted), the system tends to mount the drive as read-only.

Since it is ext formatted, Windows can't fix that.  

@satrijoe wrote:

I tend to believe that the repair would be required on the NAS disk and not on the USB drive. Am I wrong?

Usually it's the USB.  The details in the log might be useful in sorting it out, you can also try resetting the file permissions for each share in the "advanced" tab of the share settings.  If you click on the icon for any supported protocol on the share list, you'll see the advanced tab on the right.

@satrijoe wrote:

FWIW, USB backup on a duo v1 is extremely slow. I painfully noticed that.

If you aren't far along, perhaps reformat the disk as NTFS (assuming you use windows), and start the backup again over the network (using freefilesync or teracopy).  It should be 3-5x faster (about 3x if you use 100 mbit ethernet).  That should also give you quicker information on the problem files if it were to fail.  Teracopy can verify too, I don't know if freefilesync has that feature.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements