× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume: System volume root's usage is xx%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions.

Cazzbags
Aspirant

Volume: System volume root's usage is xx%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions.

Hi all

I've found a few miscellaneous posts about similar problems but none that seem to relate here.

I'm getting the log error:

Volume: System volume root's usage is 92%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.

This morning it was at 82%... increasing steadily since then. It now is marked as volume critical.

I don't have any apps installed. I tried disabling antivirus and rebooting and then turning it back on as another post suggested. Still no go.

I paid for some support and have been calling in and raised a case but after several hours there doesn't seem to be a solution and the % is rising.

Any ideas?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 11
TikTok90
Star

Re: Volume: System volume root's usage is xx%. This condition should not occur under normal conditio

Hi I seem to be having the same issue.  I'm running firmware 6.9.5.  I've tried ssh to the device and using the command df -i i get the following in putty:

df -i.JPG

As far as I can tell from this I don't seem to have a problem as the highest usage is 23%.  Can anyone provide any better checks for diagnosis?  I'm not an SSH expert so step by step help welcome!

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 2 of 11
TikTok90
Star

Re: Volume: System volume root's usage is xx%. This condition should not occur under normal conditio

df -h gives

df -h.JPG

so clearly the /dev/md0 bit is the problem.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps turn Antivirus off and leave it off.  Netgear is dropping it for RN100s in 6.10.x anyway.  The RN100s only have 512 mb of RAM (compared with at least 2 GB in the other OS-6 platforms).

There is a guideline here that gives some steps for diagnosis:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/RN314-FW-6-7-1-root-partition-full-...

You do need to be careful about deleting files, especially if you don't know what they are for.  It'd be best to make sure your backup is up to date first.

Message 4 of 11
TikTok90
Star

I've then done:

mount --bind / /mnt
du -d1 -h /mnt
umount /mnt

This gives:

mount.JPG

So the problem seems to be either the 230M /mnt/usr, or the 487 /mnt/Adele

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Adele shouldn't be there at all - do you have any idea what it is?  It's certainly part of the puzzle (500 MB).  If you have another copy of it's contents you should delete it.  If not, you can copy it to an existing share on the data volume and then delete the copy in the root.  Later on you can put it where you really want it. 

But the big problem is /var (2.6 GB)  That's about 2 GB more than it should be.  So try the mount again and descent into /var.  See if you can find where the bulk space is going.  When you find the folder, look at the actual file sizes (ls -al), since it might be just one or two files.

Message 6 of 11
ReadDude
Aspirant

i am having he same issue, the big space user on /var/ is in /var/lib/clamav.

There are folders names clamav-*.tmp. these use up over 3GB aand are likely why I am running out of space. is it okay force a delete of those folders? I have ssh access, but not sure how as admin to force the delete (I get permission denied.)

Model: RN10211D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay
Message 7 of 11
ReadDude
Aspirant

So, just to answer above, I thought the folders where held open by clamav, but it was justs permissions, I used sudo to force root permissions to delete the folders and got back over 50% of my /dev/md0. So it looks like a bug in the anti-virus.   my fix was via ssh and using shell commands. experts here can describe so I don't leave around a mess or dangerous instructions.

I am now keeping anti-virus off all the time now....

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 8 of 11
asimb
Star

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 9 of 11
TikTok90
Star

StephenB - thanks you are right.  No idea how Adele got there but it was her album 21!  Deleted now.

/var proved to be the anti-virus so cleaned that up and turned it off.

Many thanks.

Message 10 of 11
TikTok90
Star

Thanks asimb - that sorted the problem.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements