× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume creation

Blues11
Luminary

Volume creation

I’m still learning about OS6 with my new ReadyNAS 516 and I only have my old ReadyNAS Pro as a reference. So this question is about volumes. I understood how to create a volume with the old OS (still running 4.2.27 on the old unit).

But on the new box I am confused. I changed from X-RAID2 to Flex-RAID and then created one new volume. I can’t figure out how to create another Volume. It seems that all the users were moved into the one Volume, but that wasn't my intention.

On the left side of Admin Page > System it shows the one Volume I created. On the right side there are three vertical buttons, from the top: X-RAID, New Volume and Format.

I can click on X-RAID and it gives me the option to toggle from Flex-RAID to X-RAID, but neither New Volume nor Format is clickable. It could simply be (and probably is) my lack of knowledge about the new OS, but any guidance would be appreciated. Maybe I should be using Shares instead of Volumes, but I'm just trying to reproduce what I have on the old ReadyNAS.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Volume creation

Did you click on the unused disks you want to use in the new volume?
Message 2 of 5
Blues11
Luminary

OK. That’s new information for me. With the old ReadyNAS (RAIDiator: 4.2.27) it seemed that a volume was a logical division of the device. It was something you could create without regard to physical disks.

With your question and its implication, in OS6 it seems that a volume relates to a specific hard drive. Does this mean that the only way to create volume is with a new drive? Is it possible to divide an existing volume into two separate ones?

Thanks for the response.
Message 3 of 5
Nhellie
Virtuoso

You can probably do this but have to destroy the existing volume first (that is how I understand it works).

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... -system%3F

Check this KB for volume creation:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... -system%3F
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Blues wrote:
With your question and its implication, in OS6 it seems that a volume relates to a specific hard drive. Does this mean that the only way to create volume is with a new drive? Is it possible to divide an existing volume into two separate ones?
With Flexraid, you can select multiple new disks to combine into a single volume.

But you cannot create more than one volume on a drive. It would be nice if you could do that, since in some cases it would let you use all the space on every drive - but you can't.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements