× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Volume data health changed from Degraded to Redundant

Cazzbags
Aspirant

Volume data health changed from Degraded to Redundant

Hi

Sorry if this is simple but I couldn't find a previous listing in the forum and the manual doesn't seem to talk about log meanings etc.

I have a 4 bay NAS and I had been running on one disk for the last year because of costs of disks.

I finally got a second disk and inserted that last night.

The online interface said that it was syncing etc and this is the log:

Sep 27, 2018 05:59:00 AM Disk: Disk in channel 2 (Internal) changed state from RESYNC to ONLINE.
Sep 27, 2018 05:58:56 AM Volume: Volume data health changed from Degraded to Redundant.
Sep 27, 2018 05:58:50 AM Volume: Volume data is resynced.
Sep 27, 2018 01:00:37 AM Volume: Volume data is Degraded.
Sep 26, 2018 06:23:34 PM System: NTP is enabled.
Sep 26, 2018 05:54:24 PM System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 58.24983.
Sep 26, 2018 05:37:48 PM Volume: Volume data health changed from Unprotected to Degraded.
Sep 26, 2018 05:37:43 PM Volume: Resyncing started for Volume data.
Sep 26, 2018 05:37:19 PM System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Sep 26, 2018 05:37:16 PM Volume: Less than 30% of volume data's capacity is free. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to maintain current performance levels. Continuous protection snapshots will be deleted when volume free space is less than 5%.
Sep 26, 2018 05:21:55 PM System: The system is shutting down.

Volume degraded and redundant seems to sound like it isn't functioning anymore. But I am able to access files and nothing seems to be amiss.

Status.JPG

Status2.JPGVolumes.JPG

If everything is showing as healthy and I've got the green light, what does degraded and redundant mean?

Where to from here?

(Other than now having to get two more disks so I've got the stoage space I need)

TIA.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Cazzbags

Your RAID configuration from your previous config changed. You have XRAID enabled so when you inserted the second disk to your NAS it resync and changed your RAID to RAID-1 giving you a redundant array. Your previous was a RAID-0/JBOD which has no fauilt tolerance or redundancy.

Degraded usually occurs when there is a disk that failed which degrades the performance of RAID, this message occurred probably due to the change in RAID type and the 2nd disk still needs to sync to it.

Redundant message appeared after the sync has completed making your RAID configuration RAID-1

Your NAS is functioning well and in it's normal status but since it's on RAID-1 if you notice your disk space did not change since it only mirrored your first disk.

Adding another disk might help you with your 30% remaining capacity warning since adding a 3rd disk will now expand your volume and your RAID will become RAID-5

If you are planning on using both disk for space your NAS should have been set on Flex-RAID mode and set both disks to JBOD other than that your NAS is just fine.

For additional information you may want to check the ff.

What is X-RAID?

What is Flex-RAID?

How to change RAID type?

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Cazzbags

Your RAID configuration from your previous config changed. You have XRAID enabled so when you inserted the second disk to your NAS it resync and changed your RAID to RAID-1 giving you a redundant array. Your previous was a RAID-0/JBOD which has no fauilt tolerance or redundancy.

Degraded usually occurs when there is a disk that failed which degrades the performance of RAID, this message occurred probably due to the change in RAID type and the 2nd disk still needs to sync to it.

Redundant message appeared after the sync has completed making your RAID configuration RAID-1

Your NAS is functioning well and in it's normal status but since it's on RAID-1 if you notice your disk space did not change since it only mirrored your first disk.

Adding another disk might help you with your 30% remaining capacity warning since adding a 3rd disk will now expand your volume and your RAID will become RAID-5

If you are planning on using both disk for space your NAS should have been set on Flex-RAID mode and set both disks to JBOD other than that your NAS is just fine.

For additional information you may want to check the ff.

What is X-RAID?

What is Flex-RAID?

How to change RAID type?

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements