× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Volume dead, the nightmare is real :/

Zecaf
Guide

Volume dead, the nightmare is real :/

Hello,

So, quick recap of my nightmare:

- ATA Errors on disk 3 (Seagate NAS HDD). I switch for a new one, who was sadly DOA (tested in my PC to be sure after thtat), thanks to a crazy bad packaging from Amazon... (WD RED 3TB).

- I put back the disk 3. NAS don't like it, needs to remove its volume to be able to use it. OK, let's do this. No ATA errors after that on this one.

- Resync goes smoothly until the last 20%.

- Horror, disk 5 disapear from the array without a single warning (WD RED 3TB 1st gen)

- Volume Dead

- RESYNC successful (yeah right...)

I know, NAS is not backup, but I would love some high level help to try some remote magic on this thing to be sure I'm totally screwed. If there is any chance to save something, I would love to try it... 😕

Any help welcome... Thanks.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Zecaf

It seems that you were having multiple failing disks even before Disk 3 showed signs or warnings. Disk 5 went dead before Resync completed rendering your Volume to be inactive.

Your best option would be to contact NETGEAR Support and purchase the Data Recovery service so they can check the possibility of recovering your data. Other Community users might also advise of other recovery options like ReclaiME or cloning your disks.

Hope this helps!

Regards!

Message 2 of 3
Zecaf
Guide

Actually, the disk 5 died without warning during the resync, disk 3 sent many warning prior to that because of ATA errors. 😕

I'm pretty sure I'm super **bleep**ed because I can't even mount disk 5 now. Volume is totally dead at reboot. 😞

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements