× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume degraded - how to go back to normal?

Equinox1
Guide

Volume degraded - how to go back to normal?

Hi guys,

I have (another) Pro 6 with bays populated with 3tb WD Reds in Raid5. Or so I thought.

I purchased a 6tb hard drive to put in the 6th bay and create a separate volume for backups, DR for another NAS, etc... 

The moment I added the 6th disk, the Pro6 immediately added to the data volume and started building that drive. Once I noticed it, I yanked it out, and I noticed the XRAID indicator on data volume. I switched to FlexRaid, and it started resyncing. 

Meanwhile, I added the 6th disk again, I formated it and I created a new JBOD volume out of it, aptly called ‘SIX’. Twisted sense of humor. After a few minutes, Six was online and well. I created some shares, and even put the OneDrive app to dump data on a newly created share on Six.

This morning, volume data (4x3tb) finished rebuilding, all looks fine, but it says degraded.

So now I have 2 questions:

- what is the current status of the data volume?

- how do I put it back to normal state?

Model: RNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: Volume degraded - how to go back to normal?

So, you had XRAID turned on and added a disk to the NAS which will prompt an expansion of the raid. XRAID will immediately expand your raid5 to 5 disks, rather than 4. Now, that you pulled the 5th disk, you raid is degraded as it expects 5 disks.

To go back to 4 disks from that is not simple. You can possibly shrink the raid via mdadm but that might be a bad idea to mess with.

You have a spare bay... maybe get a disk for the raid5 to make it redundant and a 5xdisk raid instead of 4. Do you have plans for that spare bay?

Alternatively, factory reset and then create your volumes again...

Message 2 of 8
Equinox1
Guide

I have the 6tb disk on the 6th bay....but the whole point of it was to DR from a different NAS.

I dont have any other disk to put on bay 5 at this moment.

What would be the mdadm route?

Message 3 of 8
Equinox1
Guide

Assuming that I can make the whole /data fit on the 6th disk....what is the easiest way to back up/copy the whole lot?

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Message 5 of 8
Hopchen
Prodigy

Please remember to do a backup first! 🙂

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Equinox1 wrote:

I have the 6tb disk on the 6th bay....but the whole point of it was to DR from a different NAS.

I dont have any other disk to put on bay 5 at this moment.

Why not just leave the 6th disk in the main data volume???  It doesn't prevent you from setting up DR from the other NAS.

Was it larger than the disks in the main array?

Message 7 of 8
Equinox1
Guide

The whole idea was to have a non-redundant scratch disk, independent from the data one. Not only it is more cost/space efficient, but also makes the backups independent from any hickups... such as now. 🙂

By first hand experience and reading through the forums, the most common solution to problems is “factory reset and restore your backups”. Don’t get me wrong, I am very grateful to this community and an active participant. But having all bays in a single volume is a mistake that I will not repeat.

And yes, the array was 4x3TB, and the scratch disk was a new 6TB disk, from a different brand/geometry/series.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements