× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Volume is degraded. Can I force resynce [readynas 314]

techman05v2
Guide

Volume is degraded. Can I force resynce [readynas 314]

I saw one of my disks was going bad so I got a new drive and placed it in another slot while it synced with the intention to remove the drive after the syncing so I didn't loose anything. Apparently nas's don't like that and would have wanted me to swap the bad drive with the new one.

Is there a way to force the sync as it is or put the bad drive back in and unmount the replacement drive and put it in the bad drive slot.

Thanks

Current version 6.10.3   on a windows pc enviroment 

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, the best way to lose your data is to do what you did.  But don't make it worse and try something else right now.  If the bad drive goes bad while a 4th drive is syncing, it will kill the volume.  If it does complete sync, you'll have a 4-drive RAID, which will become a degrade volume when you remove the failing one, whihc is not what you wanted.

Where you go from here depends on a couple things:  Foremost, what is the current state of the array?  You say you want to "force a sync", so does that mean the sync never started, or just never completed when you added the 4th drive?

Also of importance is whether you have a backup of the data.

Message 2 of 4
techman05v2
Guide

The sync had already completed with the 4th drive and then the failed one completely failed. I didn't realize when I replaced the drive it I had to put the new one where the dead one was. Luckily I ordered 2 drives so as soon as that comes I'm replacing the failed one. I was just hoping when I put it in the empty bay and not the failing one that I'd have less risk of an f-up.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@techman05v2 wrote:
 I didn't realize when I replaced the drive it I had to put the new one where the dead one was. 

Not exactly right.  The problem is that you needed to remove the failing drive before hot-inserting the new one.  It wasn't about using a different slot.  The NAS assumed you were expanding the array, not replacing a drive.

You were lucky that the drive didn't completely fail until after the resync completed.  If it had, you would have lost all your data.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements