× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume root is 100.00% full

Whiteseth
Aspirant

Volume root is 100.00% full

Successfully completed diagnostics System

• Volume root is 100.00% full
  • /var is consuming 3389 MB

Logs

• No errors found.

Model: RN214D43|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 30
StephenB
Guru

Re: Volume root is 100.00% full

If you don't have a backup of your system, you should definitely make one.

You can contact paid support (my.netgear.com) to clean the OS partition.

If ssh is enabled and you have knowledge of linux commands, you could attempt to clean it yourself.

Message 2 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

I don't have ssh enabled. I have no backup. How to make it? If I can't get on the device

Message 3 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

I bay support

Customer ID35,812,857
Contract TypeGearHead - Networking Support for Home Products, 3 Months
Activation Date10/29/2019

Expiration Date1/27/2020

CostUSD 49.99 + USD 11.50 (Tax)USD 61.49

but I did not have any new options in my personal account

Message 4 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

How do I link a technical support Contract to a product serial number?

Message 5 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@Whiteseth wrote:

I have no backup. How to make it? If I can't get on the device

Are you saying that you can't access the NAS shares with File Explorer (or Finder) any more?  If so, that's new information - you didn't tell us that in earlier posts.

If you can access the NAS shares with file explorer, than you can back up the files by copying the shares over the network - for example to a USB drive.

FWIW, I'm not sure that Gearhead was the right support product.  Hopefully @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V (Netgear mods) will chime in and clarify this and help escalate with support.

Message 6 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

Sorry, I misunderstood about the backup. Thought You were talking about a nasOS backup

Access to files on the nas is. Backup is made

Message 7 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@Whiteseth wrote:

Sorry, I misunderstood about the backup. Thought You were talking about a nasOS backup

Access to files on the nas is. Backup is made

Great.  

Then you have three options:

• Just do a factory default, reconfigure the NAS, upgrade the firmware, and restore the files from your backup.  This is a fair amount of work, but could be the fastest/most direct option.
  • Use ssh in tech support mode to try to clean the OS partition yourself.  If you don't know linux commands, this isn't a good idea.  But if you do, we can provide some instructions on how to get into the OS.
  • Use paid support to clean the OS partition remotely.  it is usually a straightforward fix, but it can take a while to get through to support.  This also would require you to boot the NAS in tech support mode (since the web ui isn't responsive).
Message 8 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

• Use ssh in tech support mode to try to clean the OS partition yourself. If you don't know linux commands, this isn't a good idea. But if you do, we can provide some instructions on how to get into the OS.

Please tell me how I connect via SSH to the NAS in technical support mode. Usually for this I use BitviseSSHClient

Message 9 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

• Use paid support to clean the OS partition remotely.  it is usually a straightforward fix, but it can take a while to get through to support.  This also would require you to boot the NAS in tech support mode (since the web ui isn't responsive).

I paid for technical support and know how to put the NAS in technical support mode through RAIDar. But as I wrote earlier, the technical support contract is not attached to the device. Although the payment I did through the device selection. And I do not have access to technical support contacts in my personal account.

Message 10 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

Message 11 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

Message 12 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@Whiteseth wrote:
  • Use ssh in tech support mode to try to clean the OS partition yourself. If you don't know linux commands, this isn't a good idea. But if you do, we can provide some instructions on how to get into the OS.

Please tell me how I connect via SSH to the NAS in technical support mode. Usually for this I use BitviseSSHClient

Once in tech support mode, you need to connect with telnet.  The username is root, the password is infr8ntdebug.

Then enter

# rnutil chroot

Which will start RAID and chroot.

From there, you need to track down where all the space is going. 

If you did have the Antivirus service enabled, I suggest looking at /var/lib/clamav first.  Though that was an issue with the RN100 series, not the RN210 models.

# cd /var/lib/clamav
# ls -lsh

If you see some folders that look like clamav-<very long string>.tmp then delete them and see how much space is freed up.

# rm -r clamav-*.tmp

Plex is another possibility - sometimes it can leave behind temporary files.  Look for file names chunk*.m4s - they can safely be deleted.

A third possibility (not uncommon) is that a backup job that was supposed to write to a USB drive actually wrote to the drive mount point in /media (for instance /media/USB_HDD_1).  Those folders should be empty.  Similarly /apps should be empty if the data volume isn't mounted.

And of course look for core files.

There are other possibilities - many of them linked to specific apps. 

Message 13 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@Whiteseth wrote:

I paid for technical support and know how to put the NAS in technical support mode through RAIDar. But as I wrote earlier, the technical support contract is not attached to the device. Although the payment I did through the device selection. And I do not have access to technical support contacts in my personal account.

The Netgear mods are in the best position to help you with contacting support.  Hopefully @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V will chime in.

Message 14 of 30
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Whiteseth,

The support contract that you need for your RN214 is the On-Call 24x7 Support contract or the PPI (pay-per-incident) support contract. 

You may send me your contact details via PM (private message). I will try endorsing you to the appropriate NETGEAR support team. They can offer you the correct support contract then assist with the ReadyNAS issue afterward.

Regards,

Message 15 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

Once in tech support mode, you need to connect with telnet.  The username is root, the password is infr8ntdebug.

Sorry, I don't understand. How do I Telnet to the device? Through what port? I thought I needed to connect to the device via SSH-22 port. with the specified login / password. But the SSH connection is not established "the Destination computer rejected the connection request"

Message 16 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@Whiteseth wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand. How do I Telnet to the device? Through what port? I thought I needed to connect to the device via SSH-22 port. with the specified login / password. But the SSH connection is not established "the Destination computer rejected the connection request"

Telnet is a different protocol, and you need to use that in tech support mode (not ssh).

if you use Windows, you can use the built-in telnet (using the command prompt interface).  Or you can use putty, which has an option for telnet.  https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

Message 17 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

Telnet is a different protocol, and you need to use that in tech support mode (not ssh).

if you use Windows, you can use the built-in telnet (using the command prompt interface).  Or you can use putty, which has an option for telnet.  https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

I use PuTTY in my work. I try to connect to NAS through 23 port Telnet. "Network error. Connection denied"

Message 18 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@Whiteseth wrote:

I use PuTTY in my work. I try to connect to NAS through 23 port Telnet. "Network error. Connection denied"

Are you certain you've booted up in tech support mode?

Use the instructions on page 58-59 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Message 19 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Whiteseth wrote:

Are you certain you've booted up in tech support mode?

Use the instructions on page 58-59 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Yes, you're right. I'm confusing tech support mode with remote support. I will finish data backup and I will try

Message 20 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your help. I wouldn 't have done it without you.

Can you tell me what kind of becaps they are?

/var/backups/shares

root@4FH5685000054:/var/backups/shares# ls -lsh
total 2.6G
1.3G -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.3G Oct 19 08:33 shares.tar
1.3G -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.3G Oct 16 08:30 shares.tar.0

Message 21 of 30
StephenB
Guru

@Whiteseth wrote:

Can you tell me what kind of backups they are?

/var/backups/shares

1.3G -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.3G Oct 19 08:33 shares.tar
1.3G -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.3G Oct 16 08:30 shares.tar.0

They are made by the ReadyNAS application itself, and are supposed to backup the share configuration (including snapshots).  Mine are much smaller (< 1 MB).  Not sure why yours are so large - perhaps @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V will chime in. 

I suspect you could delete them, though it would be better if you could copy them first.  Not sure if they will be recreated when you reboot the system (or if they would still be over-size if it does).

You could try mounting the data volume:

# btrfs device scan
# btrfs fi show
# mount /dev/md127 /data

(This of course does assume the default volume name of data).

Then you could copy them into a share temporarily.  Alternatively, you could mount a USB disk.

Message 22 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

After removal of snapshots it turned out to come through the web interface in NAS. And download the log once. Further gives an error

<xs:nml xmlns:xs="http://www.netgear.com/protocol/transaction/NMLSchema-0.9" src="browser" dst="nas" locale="ru">
<xs:transaction ref-id="" type="0">
<xs:response ref-id="opid" status="failure">
<xs:error>
<xs:error-code>
<![CDATA[ 12008010002 ]]>
</xs:error-code>
<xs:error-cause>
<![CDATA[ Can't create zipped log ]]>
</xs:error-cause>
<xs:error-details>
<![CDATA[ Error in dlowload log ]]>
</xs:error-details>
</xs:error>
</xs:response>
</xs:transaction>
</xs:nml>

Message 23 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

Maybe someone will help. The full root condition is caused by cache files located at: # ls -la /data/._share/***/.pvcache/ 

Remove them. Make room. And everything will work

Message 24 of 30
Whiteseth
Aspirant

Thank you all so much for your help. I couldn't have done it without you

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation