× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Volume root is degraded

claynz
Aspirant

Volume root is degraded

I would like to completely reconfigue my NAS unit after a Volume root is degraded message showing up after running diagnostics.

I'm only running 2 drives in this unit as JBOD no need for RAID as I have the same amount of drives on the PC.

I have already taken the drives out and tested them for errors but are OK.

What is the best way to do this? so I can simply add another drive at a later stage.

I would like one drive storing TV Shows and the other drive Movies, Video's, Documents etc.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@claynz wrote:

I would like to completely reconfigue my NAS unit after a Volume root is degraded message showing up after running diagnostics.

Just to clarify this, the OS partition is always mirrored on all drives - so it is RAID-1, no matter what RAID mode you are using for your data volume.  That ensures that the NAS can boot from any disk.

@claynz wrote:

What is the best way to do this? so I can simply add another drive at a later stage.

I'd do a factory reset with one drive installed.  Switch to FlexRAID as soon as the NAS is set up.

Then hot-insert the second drive, select that disk on the volume tab, and create a second jbod volume. 

I suggest either erasing the second disk, or unformatting at in a PC before you insert it.  If you don't do that, the NAS will require you to format the drive the NAS before it lets you create the second volume. 

Message 2 of 6
claynz
Aspirant

What is the best way to do a factory reset?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@claynz wrote:

What is the best way to do a factory reset?

There's no "best" way, but there are three options:

1. use the web ui: system->settings->update has a "Perform Factory Default" control.
  2. use the boot menu: see pages 74-75 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf
  3. Remove the disks, and either erase them or un-partition them in a PC.  Reinstall disk(s) with the NAS powered down.  On power up, the NAS will do a factory install.

Message 4 of 6
claynz
Aspirant

nas.jpgI removed the drive from the NAS and performed a factory reset on the single drive left in the NAS.

I un-partitioned the other drive in another PC and added (16TB) back to the NAS and it took awhile to resync, now I can not do anyhting with it, I would like to use it as a seprate drive.

The only thing I can do is toggle the X-RAID

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@claynz wrote:

I removed the drive from the NAS and performed a factory reset on the single drive left in the NAS.

I un-partitioned the other drive in another PC and added (16TB) back to the NAS and it took awhile to resync, now I can not do anyhting with it, I would like to use it as a seprate drive.

The only thing I can do is toggle the X-RAID

Allowing the second disk to resync was a waste of time.  What you should have done is toggled X-RAID off before you added the disk back, and then created a second volume.

What you do now is:

• toggle XRAID off
  • destroy the current volume (option is on the volume settings wheel).
  • create two new ones.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements