× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Watch movies on my ReadyNas 102

gluntjohan
Aspirant

Watch movies on my ReadyNas 102

Hello, i am a new user and have some really easy? problems with my NAS. I want to watch videos from my NAS with VLC.
I have Windows Vista and WIndows 7 on my computers.
On my Windows 7 i can add a (media device in the network) and watch the movies in Windows Media Player, but have no idea how to open the videos from the NAS to VLC and watch them in that player.
The computer who runs Windows Vista is my "movie computer" and i have no idea how to watch the videos from the NAS. Have tried PLEX aswall but the transcoding? dosen't work. :?

So if someone please can tell me how to, the easist way and step to step explanation, so that i can look at movies from the NAS(prefered to open them with VLC).

Thank you! :oops:
Message 1 of 6
ljung
Tutor

Share the movie folder with SMB protocoll. Now you probably use DLNA to browse.

With a SMB share you can browse it like any folder on your computer and play it with VLC or whatever you want.

1. Set the movie share to use SMB. Login to NAS and go to Shares. Klick your movie share, settings, network access. Be sure that there is a green indicator under SMB.

2. Open up windows explorer "winkey + e". In the addressbar type "\\your-nas-name-or-ip" now you can browse the files easy and play them how ever you want.
Message 2 of 6
gluntjohan
Aspirant

ljung wrote:
Share the movie folder with SMB protocoll. Now you probably use DLNA to browse.

With a SMB share you can browse it like any folder on your computer and play it with VLC or whatever you want.

1. Set the movie share to use SMB. Login to NAS and go to Shares. Klick your movie share, settings, network access. Be sure that there is a green indicator under SMB.

2. Open up windows explorer "winkey + e". In the addressbar type "\\your-nas-name-or-ip" now you can browse the files easy and play them how ever you want.

Thank you!! and thank you again for the perfect explanation! Cheers!
Message 3 of 6
jon_russ5
Apprentice

Can you not just right click, Open With, and select VLC for that media type?
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

jon_russ5 wrote:
Can you not just right click, Open With, and select VLC for that media type?
You can do that of course, as long as the share is set up for SMB and the file permissions are set up correctly.
Message 5 of 6
Awynn
Aspirant

Ok
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements