× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Way to hide default 'data' Share?

IamMoody
Guide

Way to hide default 'data' Share?

In windows file explorer I've got a share folder, named 'data' which contains 0 bytes, but leads to a copy of the other data which I have on the drive. This share is not visible in the Web GUI. I'm wondering if this is a default share, and if there is a way to delete or hide it? I've got another of the same NAS that isn't displaying this behavior. Any help is appreciated.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Way to hide default 'data' Share?

@IamMoody wrote:

In windows file explorer I've got a share folder, named 'data' which contains 0 bytes, but leads to a copy of the other data which I have on the drive. 

I suspect you are using the NAS admin credentials in Windows.  That will let you see the full data volume - which by default is named "data".

If so, you are not seeing a copy of the files and folders.  You are seeing the actual files and folders - you are just accessing them using a different path.  The data volume also has other folders that are not shares - for instance, you can see the home folder, and if you show hidden folders you will see .apps and a lot of other stuff.

@IamMoody wrote:

which contains 0 bytes

All top-level shared folders will show 0 bytes if you right-click on them and look at properties.  That doesn't mean they are empty.

@IamMoody wrote:

and if there is a way to delete or hide it? I've got another of the same NAS that isn't displaying this behavior. 

Hopefully it's clear now that you don't want to delete it - you'll lose your data if you try.

The way to hide it is to use different credentials with the NAS.  For instance create a user account on the NAS (maybe call it user), and assign it a password.  Then delete any current credentials for the NAS in windows credential manager, and create a new one that uses your NAS user account/password. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

If you are seeing an 8-sided (or is it 6?) multi-color icon with an N in it, then turn off DLNA for the share and it will disappear.  DLNA advertises itself and has no password protection.  If you don't use DLNA for anything, disable it on the System/Settings page.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

@IamMoody wrote:

In windows file explorer I've got a share folder, named 'data' which contains 0 bytes, but leads to a copy of the other data which I have on the drive. 

I suspect you are using the NAS admin credentials in Windows.  That will let you see the full data volume - which by default is named "data".

If so, you are not seeing a copy of the files and folders.  You are seeing the actual files and folders - you are just accessing them using a different path.  The data volume also has other folders that are not shares - for instance, you can see the home folder, and if you show hidden folders you will see .apps and a lot of other stuff.

@IamMoody wrote:

which contains 0 bytes

All top-level shared folders will show 0 bytes if you right-click on them and look at properties.  That doesn't mean they are empty.

@IamMoody wrote:

and if there is a way to delete or hide it? I've got another of the same NAS that isn't displaying this behavior. 

Hopefully it's clear now that you don't want to delete it - you'll lose your data if you try.

The way to hide it is to use different credentials with the NAS.  For instance create a user account on the NAS (maybe call it user), and assign it a password.  Then delete any current credentials for the NAS in windows credential manager, and create a new one that uses your NAS user account/password. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements