× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Web Server ReadyNAS Duo v02

StevieMac
Aspirant

Web Server ReadyNAS Duo v02

Hey Guys I got my NAS drive set up & I'm trying to figure out a few things & I came across this which i didn't know you could do with a NAS.
http://www.readynas.com/?p=135

I've tried to follow it only its not the same Dashboard as mine on the Duo V02 can anyone tell me if there is another tut for my NAS drive or tell me the right way to do it?

Thanks

Steve
Message 1 of 9
kullyrai
Tutor

Hi Steve,
Some notes on how to do this using the new style Dashboard on the ReadyNAS Duo v2 (written in a similar style to the ReadyNAS.com article):

Step 1 - Create website share:
- Select "Shares" tab on the top of the screen.
- Click the plus sign above the folders list to add a new share
- On the pop-up box, enter the name of the share. This will also be the directory name on the ReadyNAS. I will refer to this share as <website> from now on.
- Once the share is created, click on the <website> folder to ensure it is selected.
- With <website> selected, select the following sharing protocols:
- SMB: this will allow access via Windows. I have this set to Read only for everyone, and log in as admin via windows if i want to add any files/directories into the <website> share.
- HTTP: this is allow HTTP access via web browsers. Set this to Read Only for all users/everyone
- FTP: Allow this if you want to allow FTP access.

Step 2 - Redirect default HTTP access
- Select "System" tab on the top of the screen.
- Select the "HTTP" Service from the System screen dashboard
- On the pop-up, select the share <website> as the defauly share to display. select ok.
- On the dashboard screen after all pop-ups are closed, click on the refresh icon on the top right side and double check all settings were saved.

Step 3 - create default index.html page
- Create test "index.html" file, you can follow what was on the link you pasted above.
- copy it to the ReadyNAS under the <website> share/directory

- Open web browser and go to http://<ip address of ReadyNAS Duo v2>/<website>

EDIT: you have to put the name of the <website> in the URL, or it does not work. I even restarted apache and it made no difference, kept getting dashboard otherwise.

It should work.

NOTE: This will only make the webpage visible on your internal network. To make it visible to the outside internet, you will need to set-up port forwarding on your router to allow web requests to point to the ReadyNAS. I will not go into too much detail on this as it requires knowledge of your specific router. Also, this means that the dashboard for the ReadyNAS will be visible to the outside internet. If you do not want this, best not to do this, or at the very least ensure the HTTPS service is also enabled, and only use HTTPS when accessing from outside of your internal network.

You can then also go a step further and add PHP to the ReadyNAS, to add a more powerful web server. You would then also be able to access the mysql database on the ReadyNAS, allowing to build more powerful websites with a database back-end (forum, blog, CMS, dynamic website etc)

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get PHP working on the ReadyNAS yet. There were some posts on how to do this, but they were on a beta version of a firmware, and my requests for more info/help on that have so far gone unanswered.

regards
kullyrai
Message 2 of 9
StevieMac
Aspirant

Whoo hoo thanks kullyrai!!! I'll give this a go when I get some time & I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks loads for takeing the time to write this all out!

Steve
Message 3 of 9
alext1
Aspirant

Hi I'm hoping somebody can give me a hand with a problem I am having at step 2 - HTTP folder redirect.
I have a readynas Duo V2, Firmware RAIDiator 5.3.7.

When I follow the steps laid out in step 2 I run into a problem with the selected folder not binding.
I select the option "Redirect default web access to this share:" and select my folder "http", click apply and then refresh.
On refreshing the screen it shows the option "None Selected" No matter how many times I try it, using different methods e.g. fresh reboot etc. it does not want to point to this share.

Is there a specific Log file I need to have a look at to share for more advice?

Thanks for the assistance.
Alex.
Message 4 of 9
kullyrai
Tutor

Hi Alex,
Does the share you want to use have HTTP access enabled correctly in the Shares tab in step 1?

regards
kullyrai
Message 5 of 9
alext1
Aspirant

Hi Kullyrai,
I believe so, I have the fields you suggested in SMB and HTTP selected, opted not to enable ftp.
When I select the http redirect field and click apply it gives a warning saying something along the lines of "The IP address may change, use RAIDer to detect new IP".
But the loading pinwheel next to Services just keeps on spinning, but nothing happens. Once the browser window is refreshed nothing has changed. 😞

I might get in contact with netgear support and see what they have to say.
Message 6 of 9
rspierz
Aspirant

I am trying this out now, and I have gotten to the point where I can get to the http site of the created folder (i named it content). However, now i am trying to make an index list where i can link my other shared folders to this content page. How would I go about creating links to my other shared folders?

Thanks!
Message 7 of 9
tidjidi1
Aspirant

Hello alext
I noticed (almost) the same problem as yours.
The difference is that I getthe error message "the connection may be lost due to a possible change of the IP address of this device". Either the NAS is in DHCP mode or in manual IP address.
Furthermore, this message appears systematically when I try to change the status of HTTP or HTTPS service...
(I guess it is a bug from the last radiator, as my HTTP service is ON - I turned it when I installed my NAS some times ago - now I am unable to turn it OFF)

I logged a call onto the Netgear support service.
Message 8 of 9
rampa99
Aspirant

Same probleme here with 5.3.7. Did you get a response from Netgear support service?
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements