× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Weird File Transfer Speeds

M4cc45
Tutor

Weird File Transfer Speeds

Hi,

Firstly it's a ReadyNAS NV+ v2.

My setup is as follows:

TP-Link GB Switch connected to PC and NAS and a cable to a Devolo AVPlus 500 Homeplug
Other Devolo AVPlus 500 Homeplug connected to router and media center

Now if I try and copy files to the NAS I get around 20 MB/s. If I remove the gateway and restart the NAS I get around 50 MB/s. If I change the gateway on the NAS to be something other than my router I get a stable 40 MB/s.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on - I thought all of the traffic would be local? PC is currently running Windows 8 - I've tried a laptop running Windows 7 and get the same results.

I would like the NAS to have internet access to download updates and not to have to mess with it but it's annoying the hell out of me why having a gateway would seem to change the routing of the traffic and also why it would kill the speed.

Any ideas?
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Weird File Transfer Speeds

Are you copying between the NAS and the PC, or between the NAS and the media center?

1) the gateway on the NAS needs to be set correctly, otherwise the NAS will be unable to connect to the internet at all.

2) Normally the NAS will get the target MAC address using ARP. Outgoing traffic then has the MAC address in the ethernet framing, and the IP address in the IP framing layer. The ethernet switch should recognize the PC's MAC address, and route the packet directly from the router to the NAS. Transfers from the PC to the NAS would work similarly.

If (2) is not working properly, the place to look first is the switch. Perhaps try opening a command window on the PC and enter "arp -a" This should contain the IP address of the NAS, and the associated MAC address. If the IP of the NAS is not listed, ping the NAS and try again.
Message 2 of 8
M4cc45
Tutor

Between PC and NAS on the same switch. I'd suggest the switch is working correctly as the speeds are fine until the NAS has a gateway. It's only when the NAS has a gateway the speeds drastically reduce.

1. Agreed - I know this.
2. ARP sees the NAS with the correct IP.

The only thing I can conclude is that the NAS is doing something that is slowing down the bandwidth. I've tried to turn as much off as possible (DLNA / UPNP / Genie / ReadyNAS Remote / etc.) but still no difference.

M.
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

The key question is whether ARP sees the NAS with the correct MAC address.
Message 4 of 8
M4cc45
Tutor

ARP shows the correct MAC address. As soon as I put in the gateway, and re-verifying ARP is correct, the speed drops to 20MB/s. Changing the gateway to something that doesn't exist and then retesting the ARP (to verify no change) more than doubles the speed. Beginning to get annoying now as there is no logical reason for it.

Any other ideas?

M.
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If the ARP info in the PC is correct, then transfers from the PC to the NAS (e.g., writes to the NAS) should stay within the switch.

If the write speeds change, then something is going on in the switch (or possibly upstream). For reads, you'd want to confirm the ARP information in the NAS (requiring SSH access).

I would temporarily try moving the router to the other side of the powerline adapter (disconnecting the media player, and connecting the WAN ethernet interface to the far-end powerline adapter). That would rule out the powerline segment of your network.
Message 6 of 8
M4cc45
Tutor

I have done most of that (need to investigate more from the NAS side) it's just seems strange that one change fixes it - if it was a few MB/s then I could accept that but it's more than half of the speed. I'll investigate more tonight and report back.

M.
Message 7 of 8
Nosler
Aspirant

I'm new to the forum so please forgive my mistakes.

My setup is :

1 x ReadyNas NV+ (V1) with 4 x Seagate 2 To mounted in Raid 0
1 x DLink DGS 1216T Gigabit
1 x ISP box Gigabit

I've used my readynas for almost 2 years without any problems.
Recently I can access without issue the NAS through File Explorer an read data such as movies but I can't copy anymore on or from the NAS as I've a "speed"
of 10Ko. This happen in the case I copy from the NAS to my PC or from PC to the NAS whatever PC I'm using.
I don't have any issue while reading a file from the NAS.

Any idea on what is going on ?
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements