× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Weird "Unknown" and "Public" Network Issue With Windows 10, ReadyNAS and Static IPs

XrayDoc88
Guide

Weird "Unknown" and "Public" Network Issue With Windows 10, ReadyNAS and Static IPs

I have a home network with all computers running Windows 10, except for my ReadyNAS 628X and my pfSense computer router.  When a Windows 10 computer is added to a network, Windows 10 somehow magically decides whether the network is known or unknown.  If known, you can toggle between "private" or "public" network profiles.  If Windows decides the network is unknown, however, it forces the public network profile on the computer.  This public profile then disables network discovery and file and printer sharing.

The last two computers I have built have both been forced to the public network profile when I try to use static IP addresses.  Using 3 different "hacks" to force a private profile (including a registry hack) only works until the computer is rebooted.  Once rebooted, it detects an unknown network and is forced to the public profile again.  This problem doesn't happen if I use DHCP to get the IP addresses.

I then stumbled upon a weird fact.  The two new computers did not have the ReadyCLOUD desktop app installed.  Once I installed this app, I was able to assign static IPs to the computers and they could keep a private network profile.

1.  Has anyone experienced this problem before?

2.  Is this a known issue with having a ReadyNAS device on your home network?

3.  Do you think the ReadyNAS is the cause of Windows 10 deciding it's an "unknown" network and then forcing the "public" profile?

4.  I wonder if Netgear is aware?

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Weird "Unknown" and "Public" Network Issue With Windows 10, ReadyNAS and Static IPs

Hi @XrayDoc88

Not really sure if the NAS is causing this issue since we don't think the ReadyNAS can control anything on what the Windows OS does within the Network or PCs when it comes to Public or private profiles. If in any case, contacting Support might be a good idea so they can check and investigate if needed.

Regards

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Weird "Unknown" and "Public" Network Issue With Windows 10, ReadyNAS and Sta

@Marc_V wrote:

we don't think the ReadyNAS can control anything on what the Windows OS does within the Network or PCs when it comes to Public or private profiles.

I agree, though I guess it's possible that installing the ReadyCloud application on the PC might affect the Windows behavior somehow.

@XrayDoc88: I am wondering if you are assigning private (not internet routable) static addresses, or if you are assigning public addresses.

You should be assigning addresses from the following ranges which are designated for private networks:

• 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255.
  • 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255.
  • 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255.

If you are using other addresses, it would be reasonable for Windows to assume you were on a public network.

FWIW, you can reserve addresses in your router (pfsense calls this "static IP mappings).  That's a better strategy than assigning static IP addresses to clients - it's more easily managed, and makes it less likely that you'll misconfigure a device (resulting in a duplicate address, etc).

Message 3 of 6
XrayDoc88
Guide

Re: Weird "Unknown" and "Public" Network Issue With Windows 10, ReadyNAS and Sta

I am definitely assigning static IP addresses that are in the private range. I use 192.168. 0. X with a subnet mask of 255.255. 255. 0. All of the static IP addresses are also in a separate range from the DHCP addresses that are also active on the same network.
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@XrayDoc88 wrote:
I am definitely assigning static IP addresses that are in the private range. I use 192.168. 0. X with a subnet mask of 255.255. 255. 0. All of the static IP addresses are also in a separate range from the DHCP addresses that are also active on the same network.

Ok.

My systems all allow me to reset the network profile by clicking on "Change Connections properties" in Network Status, and then setting the network type to private (or public).  Those changes have always been sticky for me. I'm not using ReadyCloud, so it is not installed on any of my PCs.

I suspect that if you

• uninstalled ReadyCloud from the PC
  • confirmed that the problem is still happening

then you would find that disconnecting the ReadyNAS from the network wouldn't affect the PC behavior.

Message 5 of 6
XrayDoc88
Guide

Well those are two good suggestions that I will try for troubleshooting. I also have the ability to choose between private and public but that's only when the network is not identified as unknown. If Windows decides the network is unknown, it removes the option to toggle between public and private. Plus the only thing that has fixed the problem was to actually install the readycloud app. When the readycloud app was not installed that's when my network is forced to public.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements