× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What is the interest in ReadyNAS as an NVR

Woodzzter
Aspirant

What is the interest in ReadyNAS as an NVR

This question has come up a couple of times recently here and I have since mentioned it to a Netgear storage engineer who has said that NVR functionality on the ReadyNAS devices is not currently on Netgear's radar as far as he is aware however the suggestion has been passed up the chain to the product management team.

While the lack of this current functionality is not necessarily a deal breaker for us on ReadyNAS units is does mean that we have to go outside of the ReadyNAS product line to source NVR equipment. Currently I am aware that DLink, Synology and IOMega (and I am sure there are others) all offer NVR functionality of some sort in their NAS devices.

I also know that there are 3rd party solutions such as ZoneMinder that will provide NVR functionality on a ReadyNAS with the installation of those add-ons.

I am interested to know what the general interest in NVR functionality (such as that offered by ZoneMinder). It would be handy to know if there was some real interest in this functionality that I could then get back to the Netgear engineers and see what the chances are of them moving any possible 'official' NVR functionality up the priority list.

While there may be 3rd party solutions available I am always hesitant about implementing these in a business environment as I have seen too many 3rd party solutions go 'guts up' leaving people that have implemented that solution with an essentially dead product (which in this case means no support for future cameras, no ongoing features etc etc).

If any one has any comments on this topic I would be interested to hear them.
Message 1 of 3
MindBender
Aspirant

Re: What is the interest in ReadyNAS as an NVR

For me it wasn't a deal-breaker either, but I have 4 American Dynamics SpeedDome cameras with rather wonkey WebEye B101 video servers in my house and it would be nice to have some means of recording those in case something happens. I will need to replace the WebEye servers because of their proprietary image format(!) but I'll be happy to throw it a couple of Axis servers if that solves my problem.

KMotion may solve the problem:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=52968&p=300977
Mr. WhoCares?, who also provide numerous other add-ons, had made it suitable for the ReadyNAS platform and it looks pretty nice. I think I'm going to buy myself an Axis test server to see how it works for me.
Message 2 of 3
Woodzzter
Aspirant

Re: What is the interest in ReadyNAS as an NVR

Judging by the lack of responses I am going to guess that there is limited interest in 'official' NVR support in Netgear ReadyNAS (at least by readers of this forum). May mean a need to go with Brand X for NVR NAS devices.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements