× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What's the best way to entirely replace all hard drives, without saving content?

sstillwell
Tutor

What's the best way to entirely replace all hard drives, without saving content?

Running latest BIOS and OS 6 as of last night.  For the moment, I have old 3 x 1 TB Samsung drives in there, but I plan on replacing them with 4 x WD RED NAS 8 TB drives (I also have 2 x 4 TB WD RED if it makes sense to create more than one array...)

4 GB of RAM is on order, but for now I have no plans to replace the processor - I run out of network bandwidth before I run out of CPU.

Anyway, what's my best bet when it comes to just entirely nuking the existing array and rebuilding from scratch on new drives?

Thanks in advance.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6610|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
sstillwell
Tutor

Re: What's the best way to entirely replace all hard drives, without saving content?

Heh, never mind...the way to do it is to just do it.  I had to fdisk them to get rid of the old partition tables on the drives and get rid of the drive label, but once done I was able to build a volume and recreate my configuration.  Using 4 x 8TB drives RAID5 for 21.8 TB storage.  Looks like it'll take about 13-14 hours to resync.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
sstillwell
Tutor

Heh, never mind...the way to do it is to just do it.  I had to fdisk them to get rid of the old partition tables on the drives and get rid of the drive label, but once done I was able to build a volume and recreate my configuration.  Using 4 x 8TB drives RAID5 for 21.8 TB storage.  Looks like it'll take about 13-14 hours to resync.

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could alternatively have reset the system to factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) using the boot menu (obviously the disks would need to be installed for this to work).

Message 3 of 5
sstillwell
Tutor

Wasn't 110% sure that that wouldn't have brought back some hard-burned-in-PROM old OS, so I didn't try that as my first choice.  Good to know, though.

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you update the firmware the firmware is updated on the internal flash and on the disks. If you do a factory reset it uses the firmware on the internal flash. It'll set things up as if the system shipped from the factory with that firmware.

If the firmware on the internal flash couldn't be upgraded then you wouldn't be able to take advantage of improvements made after the unit left the factory that require a clean install of the OS.

There's also the option in the web admin GUI to format disks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements