× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What would cause a powered-down ReadyNAS to wake?

nsne
Virtuoso

What would cause a powered-down ReadyNAS to wake?

Before heading off on vacation, I powered down my ReadyNAS 314 (firmware 6.7.5 at the time). I was very suprised to come home more than a week later and find that it was powered on.

After consulting the log in the GUI, I noticed that about three days after I shut the unit down, it appeared to have powered back up around 11pm.

I have no idea what caused that and can't discern it from the more detailed system logs.

From what little I can make out, the RN314 seems to have powered up just to inform me that a new firmware update was available. But if that's the case, why wouldn't my Ultra 4, which was also running 6.7.5 and has WoL enabled, have done the same thing?

There were no local WoL triggers at that time because no computer capable of sending a WoL packet was connected to the local network or powered on.

Can anyone offer some insight?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

AFAIK, the only things that can initiate a power-up are 

• WoL packets
  • The NAS power schedule

Message 2 of 7
nsne
Virtuoso

Yeah, that's what's so weird. The Power Timer schedule is not enabled. And WoL is active on both units (RN314 and the Ultra 4) — but only the RN314 powered up.

Which device log would I check to see if a WoL packet had been sent at that time and by which device?

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't have a 314, but what happens if you unplug and plug it back in when powered down?  If it comes on, you probably had a power glitch.

If that's not it, a glitch in the +5VSB (5 volt standby) power could also do it.  +5VSB stays on even when the unit is off, as it powers the power-on circuit and LAN (for WOL).  That would be an indication of a failing power supply; so, hopefuly, not the cause.  The power-on circuit itself is also a possibility.

Message 4 of 7
nsne
Virtuoso

The power glitch is the most likely culprit. My 314 and my UPS have unexplained hiccups every now and again (fleeting and random UPS offline/online errors) like the following:

UPS UPS1 () is on battery power.

UPS UPS1 () is on line power.

... so that could explain why the NAS powered up. My primary concern, beyond the conventional safety issues it poses, it that the NAS had been compromised in some way.

Message 5 of 7
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello nsne,

There is also possibility we might be looking at a compatibility problem between the NAS and the UPS. You may try to isolate by connecting the NAS to a different UPS or directly to a power outlet. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Marty_M wrote:

There is also possibility we might be looking at a compatibility problem between the NAS and the UPS. 

Normally those compatibility problems generate different messages (loss of communication / restoration of communication).

When the NAS reports transition to battery power and back, then it is more likely an issue with the circuit feeding the UPS (or the mains power generally).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements