× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Where is my revolver? One of us has got to go...

ploughguy
Guide

Where is my revolver? One of us has got to go...

I have a ReadyNAS pioneer with 4 x 1.5TB and 2 x 2TB disks which are mirrored.
Volume C has 4 x 1.5TB in striped mirror config, so a bit less than 3 TB, and it is full.

We are not getting on very well at the moment, this ReadyNAS and I. I am starting to have dark feelings about its future.

Environment:
The ReadyNAS Pro has the latest firmware installed - 4.2.18. I have not been able to find anything like a hardware version number. I think it is an x86 - You would think that this vital bit of info would be on the status line with the software version.

I am trying to back up a Snow Leopard iMac. It has been backing up successfully (as far as I can tell) for 18 months. Time Machine started failing about two months ago. I have been trying to fix it between doing useful work since then.

Problem 1: Where has all the space gone?
I am trying to work out where all this data came from, but there does not seem to be much in the way of space management tools. I think it is mainly eaten by time machine backups. The iMac has a 200GB disk. The ReadyNAS Time Machine settings say it has 227 allocated. There is a bit of other stuff there, but "Get Info" is not returning any sizes, so I cannot see the directory sizes. Which brings us to...

Problem 2: SSH does not seem to work
I downloaded the SSH tool and installed it. Intention is to see if perhaps I can use the du command to see where the space has gone. When I log in, it logs me straight out again. If I feed it a bad password, I get "Permission Denied". If I give it the right password then I get an immediate "Connection Closed".
Is there something else that can tell me where the space is being used? This is the only really important function that a file server needs (except for the others you are thinking of)... Why is there nothing in Frontview that does this?

Problem 3: WTF happened to Time Machine?
Time Machine on the iMac seems to have decided that it is starting all over again but it cannot do it because there is no free space. I think it has probably done this several times already but I cannot see the bundles, even when I log in as user ReadyNAS. I think it recreates the entire bundle all over again. I presume that this is what has eaten the space. Without looking at the files at the OS level, it is a bit hard to tell what is causing the trouble.

I have trawled the fora looking for answers, but the answers all seem to be for other problems that I am yet to enjoy.
So, gentle reader, if you are able to help with any of these problems then I would greatly appreciate it. My ReadyNAS's life probably depends on it.
Message 1 of 2
spiderman1
Guide

Re: Where is my revolver? One of us has got to go...

Are you able to connect to the Frontview of your Pro? Have you tried to FTP instead of using SSH for the time being.

In terms of SSH, are you logging in with the username root and not the username you have assigned to the Frontivew?
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements