× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Where is the OS saved?

Where is the OS saved?

Hi there!

Very soon I am going to update my Readynas from Radiator to OS6.
If all fails, it is time for a new NAS, but I want to give it a try 🙂
I have a few questions that I could not find while browsing..

1) I want to use only new disks, that I did not buy yet. At what point can I take out all the existing disks and put all the new ones in? Before or after the upgrade?  (Note: I do not want to use them)

Can the Readynas boot at all without harddrives? If so, where is Radiator / OS6 then saved?  On a partition on one of the drives? Or is there an internal flash rom for this?  

2) Does anyone know if 8 TB or 10 TB disks work? The supported disks-file that I found only shows 4TB disks as a max, but I read that some people use 6 TB disks.  

3) I downloaded the new bios BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin , but where do I see on Radiator what the current version of the bios is? (If there is no need for an update, I rather not do it)

Friendly greetings,
Demesmaeker

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, you do have an Intel processor in your Ultra6, it's an Atom D510.  Upgrading to OS6 would not work if you did not.

The working operating system is stored on the drives, but the boot is on the flash.  From my experimenting with an RN4200 system where I replaced the motherboard with a standard SuperMicro one (the 3200 and 4200 are unique in the ReadyNAS line that they do not use a customer board), the boot also appears to look at the BIOS, as it would not boot on the standard board.

If you want to preserve the files on your old drives, then put just one new one in the NAS, let it initialize, then do the OS6 upgrade.  You can then either put the other drives in one at a time (which will take a LONG time), or factory default with them all installed.

If you ever need to go back to the old drives, then you would have to put an unused drive in, let it initialize, do the OS6 to Raidiator retrograde, then re-install just the old drives.

Yes, 10TB (and even greater) will work with your NAS and OS6.  But your processor is not nearly as fast as current models, so you may experience some slow-downs.  You should also upgrade RAM to at least 2TB.  With 2TB sticks of DDR2 RAM going for cheap, upgrading to 4G makes the most sense.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @DhrDemesmaeker, a few weeks ago I retired an RN104 and RN204 and replaced them by RN426. After removing all disks from the retirees and having them factory resetted, both booted without any problem using a generic name and the last firmware they were updated to.

Kind regards

Message 2 of 5

Thank you for answering, but I think the situation is different in my case. You have a very different model and not an intel processor.
The update I am doing is from Radiator to OS6 (a not supported way of updating).

I hope someone else knows the answers to my questions 🙂 

Ps. I found out the answer to question nr 3. You have to download all logs (using the button "download all logs" and then open the file bios_ver.log. 

Have a nice day!
Demesmaeker

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, you do have an Intel processor in your Ultra6, it's an Atom D510.  Upgrading to OS6 would not work if you did not.

The working operating system is stored on the drives, but the boot is on the flash.  From my experimenting with an RN4200 system where I replaced the motherboard with a standard SuperMicro one (the 3200 and 4200 are unique in the ReadyNAS line that they do not use a customer board), the boot also appears to look at the BIOS, as it would not boot on the standard board.

If you want to preserve the files on your old drives, then put just one new one in the NAS, let it initialize, then do the OS6 upgrade.  You can then either put the other drives in one at a time (which will take a LONG time), or factory default with them all installed.

If you ever need to go back to the old drives, then you would have to put an unused drive in, let it initialize, do the OS6 to Raidiator retrograde, then re-install just the old drives.

Yes, 10TB (and even greater) will work with your NAS and OS6.  But your processor is not nearly as fast as current models, so you may experience some slow-downs.  You should also upgrade RAM to at least 2TB.  With 2TB sticks of DDR2 RAM going for cheap, upgrading to 4G makes the most sense.

Message 4 of 5

Thank you for the answer!!

I knew that I have an intel processor. That I wrote about the processor was an answer to my first reply (that person has a nas with an atom processor). A little confusing 🙂 

I just upgraded my NAS to 4GB RAM. All went fine.
As soon as I have my new drives I will upgrade to OS6. Thank you once more for the great instructions. Now I know exactly how it will be (without worrying)

Greetings from Sweden,
Demesmaeker

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements