× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Where to find BIOS updates - Ultra4 Plus

itsjasper
Luminary

Where to find BIOS updates - Ultra4 Plus

I've had no luck searching for the v1.10 BIOS update for the ReadyNAS Ultra 4 without success.  

Could someone pint me in the direction to download it please?

Currently running OS6 on this unit but I'm happy to downgrade to OS4 to do the BIOS update if need be.

Model: ReadyNASRNDP400U|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
itsjasper
Luminary

Re: Where to find BIOS updates - Ultra4 Plus

Thanks, as this was a new unit for me, I downgraded to OS4, ran the BIOS update and went back to OS6.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No need to downgrade to OS4.

Here's the add-on

The latest BIOS for the Ultra 4/Ultra 4 Plus/Pro 4 is from 23rd August 2011

You can install flashrom and dmidecode using apt-get, extract the contents of the add-on and run the command to flash the BIOS manually doing something like this:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install dmidecode flashrom
# cd /tmp
# wget http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin
# dd if=BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin bs=16k count=1
# dd if=BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin bs=16k skip=1 | md5sum -
# dd if=BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin bs=16k skip=1 | tar -xv
# tar -xvf files.tgz
# ls -lah /tmp/opt/biosflash
# flashrom --programmer internal -c SST25VF016B -w /tmp/opt/biosflash/RN_Ultra4_082311.ROM

Don't interrupt that last command. Updating the BIOS if interrupted can leave the system in a state where it will brick when next powered off.

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Have you tried that method under OS 6.6.x?  It didn't work for me because flashrom wouldn't execute.  See Updating-motherboad-BIOS-from-OS6-can-t-get-it-to-work.  There has since been a suggestion that a 32-bit C library is needed, but I have not tried that.

Message 3 of 4
itsjasper
Luminary

Thanks, as this was a new unit for me, I downgraded to OS4, ran the BIOS update and went back to OS6.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements