× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which Backup software (data only) for my ReadyNAS Duo

saxguy1
Guide

Which Backup software (data only) for my ReadyNAS Duo

I just re-built my PC with Windows 10 Pro and since I have a trusty ReadyNAS Duo, was wondering if there is a newer piece of software to perform regularly scheduled backups?

I still have NTI Shadow for ReadyNAS but that's been out of support for some time now, right?

I don't need image backup software just a reliable, easy-to-use softwar backup for my data an attached SSD drives with data.

Thanks

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Which Backup software (data only) for my ReadyNAS Duo

You need to install the enablerootssh addon from here: https://kb.netgear.com/24549/Add-ons-for-RAIDiator-4-01

Then log in as root, using the NAS admin password.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Personally I back up my PCs with Acronis TrueImage - using the NAS as the backup destination.  You could also look into FreeFileSync.  There are other options, so hopefully other folks here will chime in.

Message 2 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Do you have any requirements regarding incremental backups and access to previous versions?  Those p[lay a big part in choosing the right tool.

If you don't mind that you don't really have a lot of control over those, the built-in backup of Windows is actually pretty good.

Message 3 of 15
saxguy1
Guide

I do not. Simply, if a file is accidently deleted, I want to (Explorer view) get it back form ReadyNAS. Scheduled backups would be nice.

Message 4 of 15
saxguy1
Guide

I did a cursory glance at Windows backup but it didn't see my NAS. Also, seems that MS has deprecated it so have some concerns about that.

Message 5 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

You chose "Save a network" and entered your NAS IP/Share and user credentials and it didn't see the NAS?  That's odd.  It doesn't "see" mapped drives for some reason, but it works well using the network option.

You do not need the application to recover files, so if Microsoft does fully remove it, you'll have to find an alternative, but yo9u can still recover your backups.

Of course, it only does periodic backups, and something that continuously syncs may be more to your needs.  I don't use any kind of syncing software I can recommend.  Of course, I also rarely create or puut files on a local drive -- I use the NAS as the destination.

Message 6 of 15
Limerick_fr
Guide

Hi @saxguy1,

I have personally used SyncBackPro for more than 10 years now and am very happy with this software. I still work with v5.20 which runs perfectly for several backup jobs.

There is a free version which will allow you to see how it works. But you need to have the paid one to benefit from "intelligent backup".

Message 7 of 15
saxguy1
Guide

My ReadyNAS is on my home network and I can access via HTTP but Windows networking is unable to show it in Windows Explorer. I don't want to rely on a mapped drive so curious why Windows Backup can't see it using "save on a Netowrk" setting?

Message 8 of 15
saxguy1
Guide

I think it's related to ReadyNAS using SMB v1?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/smbv1-not-installed...

I'm ok with (SMB v1) security in my home network unless the ReadyNAS Duo can be upgraded?

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

There is no way to enable SMB 3 on the Duo v1 now (and if that does come along, Netgear won't be providing it).

In Windows 10, you can the enable SMB 1 client by going into "turn windows features on or off".

Message 10 of 15
saxguy1
Guide

...and this about the readyNAS

I am running RAIDiator 4.1.16

Can I upgrade and get SMB v 2?

Message 11 of 15
StephenB
Guru

The SMB Plus app is OS-6 only.

I don't know what you are asking about in the other thread - it's a fairly long thread.  But SMB 3 isn't available on the sparc-based NAS.  There is an experimental flag for SMB 2 that can be enabled with ssh, and that is mentioned in the other thread.  There is no update though.  

Message 12 of 15
saxguy1
Guide

I want to enable SMB 2 (not 3) but putty (or perhaps Windows, because of the issue?) won't allow connection

Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

You need to install the enablerootssh addon from here: https://kb.netgear.com/24549/Add-ons-for-RAIDiator-4-01

Then log in as root, using the NAS admin password.

Message 14 of 15
saxguy1
Guide

I got to the ReadyNAS after enabling SMB2 (thanks stephenB) but I noticed (deprecated but still working under Windows 10) Windows Backup backsups as zip files, which I'm going to pass on.

I want the same structure I backup from my local HDD's to my ReadyNAS (like the Shadow software had).

I'll look over the other replies to see if they have the same features (albeit updated) as Shadow had back in the day.

Thanks

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements