× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why are my ReadyNAS folders visible and assessable to all network users in Windows 10 file explo

PeterPJ
Aspirant

Why are my ReadyNAS folders visible and assessable to all network users in Windows 10 file explorer

Apart from the Admin user I have setup one additional user account, with a strong password and selected ‘users’ for the primary group, I have also created shared folders with SMB network access, I have only ticked the read/write boxes for the admin and the user I want to have access to these folders.

Why are my ReadyNAS folders visible and assessable to all network users in Windows 10 file explorer, I was expecting the users to be prompted to enter the user name and password to gain access to the NAS folders. Can anyone help me solve this problem.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Why are my ReadyNAS folders visible and assessable to all network users in Windows 10 file explo

The shares will be visible - normal access controls won't prevent that. They shouldn't be accessible though.

@PeterPJ wrote:

Apart from the Admin user I have setup one additional user account, with a strong password and selected ‘users’ for the primary group, I have also created shared folders with SMB network access, I have only ticked the read/write boxes for the admin and the user I want to have access to these folders.

Why are my ReadyNAS folders visible and assessable to all network users in Windows 10 file explorer, I was expecting the users to be prompted to enter the user name and password to gain access to the NAS folders. Can anyone help me solve this problem.

One thing to double-check is that anonymous access wasn't accidently checked at the bottom of the page.  Another thing to check is if NFS is enabled on the NAS and installed on the Windows PCs.

Maybe also try rebooting the NAS, and see if that makes any difference.

What NAS do you have, and what firmware is it running?

Can you post a screenshot of the network access settings on the NAS?

Message 2 of 6
PeterPJ
Aspirant

I have a ReadyNAS RN212, The firmware is 6.10.4, The NFS and anonymous access are both unselected

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@PeterPJ wrote:

I have a ReadyNAS RN212, The firmware is 6.10.4, The NFS and anonymous access are both unselected

Thx, that is helpful.

Can you post the screenshot, and also try rebooting the NAS?

Message 4 of 6
PeterPJ
Aspirant

I have tried restarting the NAS with no change, here is a screenshot of the network accessNetwork Access.JPG

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Thx. Have you tried opening the Windows Credential Manager on the PCs?  If you see any credentials for the NAS, try deleting them.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements