× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why backup a ReadyNAS to the same ReadyNAS?

DaveNetuser
Aspirant

Why backup a ReadyNAS to the same ReadyNAS?

I am currently backing up my entire ReadyNAS with no idea why. I looked at my files stored in my NAS and found out that it has copied itself to the NAS unit as a backup, and I just don't believe that is something I'm going to be interested in doing. What would be the purpose of doing this, and if the NAS unit failed, all of the files would be unrecoverable, so what would be the purpose of having this as any kind of solution? I bought this unit with the intention of backing up all of my files that I am in posession of. I am using two 4 TB NAS HDD's to copy the files directly from the NAS at intentional intervals, to save my pictures and my so that if the unit ever failed to the point of unrecoverable corruption. 

Am I missing something?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 4
bedlam1
Prodigy

Re: Why backup a ReadyNAS to the same ReadyNAS?

Message 2 of 4
bedlam1
Prodigy

@DaveNetuser wrote:

"I am using two 4 TB NAS HDD's to copy the files directly from the NAS "

Copying them from the NAS to where and how?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The NAS won't copy files on it's own, you'd have to have created a backup job to do that.

I think you are confused on what you are seeing.  For instance, if you are accessing the NAS with admin credentials, you might be thinking the volume is a duplicate of the shares.  It's not - it's just another path to get to the same folders.

Can you post a screenshot (png preferred) that shows us what you are concerned about?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements