× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Win 10 suddenly can't connect ReadyNas DUO

PeterD2
Aspirant

Win 10 suddenly can't connect ReadyNas DUO

Hi all,

After a few Microsoft updates to Windows 10, I am no longer able to access my ReadyNas Duo using either a UNC path or mapped drives. The device shows under "network" but cannot be accessed. Clicking the NAS icon results in a Windows Network Error (Windows cannot access \\NAS Check the spelling of the name, Otherwise there might be a problem with your network, etc).

If I use Raidar and select "Browse" it works (a Windows Explorer window is spawned and I can use it as usual). But it only works with Raidar. If I open up an Explorer windows and put in the static IP (192.168.1.9) it opens the content in my Web Browser, not an Explorer window. Furthermore, every connect attempt results in a credentials challenge.

None of this has ever happened in the past, and no changes were made to anything else except for updating the Windows OS itself. Considering this is the repository for some critical work files this has now shot up to the top of my urgent priorities list. I'm in the process of copying off the files onto a local disk, but that's just a short-term fix obviously. I need to get this remedied.

Raidar version 4.3.8

ReadyNAS firmwas 4.1.16

Windows version 10.0.19033 (build 19033)

Model: RND2120|ReadyNAS Duo 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@PeterD2 wrote:

Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem. Added the static IP to the hosts file as directed, verified it's there after saving, but no go. If I enter "ping nas" at the command line it resolves to 192.168.1.9 and pings out fine.

What happens when you enter \\NAS in the windows explorer line?

Maybe also open CMD and enter

net use * /delete /y

net use t: \\NAS\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

and tell us what happens there too?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@PeterD2 wrote:

If I open up an Explorer windows and put in the static IP (192.168.1.9) it opens the content in my Web Browser, not an Explorer window. 

You need to enter \\192.168.1.9 into the file explorer address bar.  Just entering the IP address (or using the wrong slash direction) will open your browser.  That's Windows behavior, not the NAS.

@PeterD2 wrote:

Furthermore, every connect attempt results in a credentials challenge.

Likely you've been using guest (everyone) access with the NAS.  Open the Windows Credential Manager on the PC, and select "Windows Credentials".  Delete any credentials that are already stored for NAS or 192.168.1.9.  Then create two new windows credential - one for the host name, and one for the IP address.  If the only user account you have on the NAS is the built-in admin account, then consider adding a new user account to use for these credentials.

@PeterD2 wrote:

The device shows under "network" but cannot be accessed. Clicking the NAS icon results in a Windows Network Error (Windows cannot access \\NAS Check the spelling of the name, Otherwise there might be a problem with your network, etc).

This can be the trickiest to fix. Make sure you have access by the IP address before looking at this one.  Then enter \\NAS in the file explorer address bar, and see if that gives you the expected share list.  If it doesn't, then the simplest work-around is to enter NAS (and it's IP address) into the Windows HOSTS file.  This overides any other name lookup method, and will make sure that \\NAS is resolved to 192.168.1.9.

Basic instructions are:

1. Type Notepad in the Wiondows search field.
  2. In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
  3. From Notepad, open the following file (you can copy/paste it into File > Open😞

c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

4. Add a new line that says 192.168.1.9<tab>NAS (using the real tab key as the separator)

5. Select File > Save to save your changes.

Message 2 of 9
PeterD2
Aspirant

Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem. Added the static IP to the hosts file as directed, verified it's there after saving, but no go. If I enter "ping nas" at the command line it resolves to 192.168.1.9 and pings out fine.

I can only enter the shares by putting in \\192.168.1.9 into an Explorer window. All my backups are failing now too. I'm not really looking for a workaround, I need to actually fix the problem. It works from my laptop that's on an earlier version of Windows, but from the second PC in the house that's also on Win10 version 19033 (Nov update), it's suffering the same fate.

Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

If you put the NAS address into Hosts and re-booted, and the NAS name is still not resolved, then you made an error somehow.  One possibility is that you followed the examples exactly.  But they start with #, which comments them out.  Your entries should not.  Typos are, of course, another possibility.

Message 4 of 9
PeterD2
Aspirant

No, it was entered correctly. There is somethng actively preventing the new W10 iteration from accessing the old Duo. The PCs (both of them with 19033) were restarted to no effect. Here are the first few lines of my hosts file: 

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

192.168.1.9 NAS

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@PeterD2 wrote:

What happens when you enter \\NAS in the windows explorer line?

Maybe also open CMD and enter

net use * /delete /y

net use t: \\NAS\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

and tell us what happens there too?

Message 6 of 9
PeterD2
Aspirant

OK, now we're getting somewhere! After clearing out the mappings and re-mapping T: I was able to get everything working.

Clearing out the old mappings alone probably solved the problem but I'm not 100% sure. I don't know if it was a combination of that and the modified hosts file, but I'm going to put the hosts file back the way it was and see. If it works, great; if not, I'll put it back. I will have to re-map the other dozen or so network drives, though.

Message 7 of 9
PeterD2
Aspirant

OK, so I put the hosts file back the way it was, and was able to map drives. So I'd probably recommend clearing out all the existing mappings if anyone is having the same issue after installing the latest Win 10 update in future. 

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you got it sorted out. 

One limitation in Windows is that you can only use one credential with an IP address or hostname at a time.  So it is possible that your old mappings were using a different credential that was getting in the way.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements