× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Win7, ReadyNAS DUO, share permissions & access problems

gixer_gca
Aspirant

Win7, ReadyNAS DUO, share permissions & access problems

Hi Everyone
I have searched this forum, and found similar questions, but not managed to find an answer to my problems.

I am running 2 PC's - both Win 7 professional 64bit, ReadyNAS DUO firmware 4.1.17
I have been running with open shares, up to this point, but have just started trying to use permissions and am tearing my hair out.

The only way I can map a drive using the username created on the nas is from the command line
net use z: \\ACL-NAS1\backup /USER:laptop@192.168.2.56 *

the command completes successfully, but when trying to access the drive I get the message
Z:\ is not accessible
Network access is denied.

I have only CIFS and HTTPS enabled on the DUO.
I have set the share folder owner as the user "laptop"
I have set the share folder group as "users"

I have set the share folder owner rights as read/write
I have set the share folder group rights as read/write
I have set the share folder everyone rights as disable

when I re-set the share folder everone rights as read/write I can access the share and create files and folders
if I set the share folder everyone rights as read only, I can access the share, but not create folders.

This would imply that the username is not being used for authentication correctly in the 4.1.7 firmware - unless I am missing something obvious(which wouldn't be the first time!)

Please can anyone help?
Message 1 of 4
EndZz
Aspirant

Re: Win7, ReadyNAS DUO, share permissions & access problems

So you have Everyone as read only, deny takes precedence over allow so if you have other users with full right but everyone as read only the other users with full rights won't be able to write since they are part of the everyone group with read only rights. I would not use the everyone group at all. hope that helps, if i understood your question correctly anyway.
Message 2 of 4
gixer_gca
Aspirant

Thanks for your response, but I'm not sure that your answer is correct. The everyone group in Unix only applies to users who are not covered by the group permissions or user permissions - otherwise you would not be able to restrict access to certain users or groups. Unless of course the duo is not using standard Unix security.
Message 3 of 4
gixer_gca
Aspirant

Problem Fixed!
it would appear if I modify the net use to be
net use z: \\ACL-NAS1\backup /USER:192.168.2.56\laptop *
instead of
net use z: \\ACL-NAS1\backup /USER:laptop@192.168.2.56 *
then authentication works correctly, and I am able to achieve what I need to do.

not sure whether this is down to win7 64bit professional or RAIDiator 4.1.17, but might be one to add to the testing list before 4.1.18 gets released.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements