× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows 10 Install: no longer able to access NAS shares

chopin70
Virtuoso

Windows 10 Install: no longer able to access NAS shares

Hi,

I upgraded 3 days a go to Windows 10 Enterprise build 16299. It was an installation from scratch

I sadly have no longer access to any of my SMB shares. Access was working on Windows 7: see image below

NAS-err.jpg

- I tried dropping to SMB1 in SMB Application + reboot both PC and NAS: no success

- I disabled IPV6 under LAN adapter in Windows 10: no success

- I enabled every sharing option under Windows 10 for both Private and Public networks: no success

Using cmd in admin console to map the network share:

net use * /delete
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

Under the shell cmd, I have access to the shares and their listing through drive T:

However, it is wired that Explorer GUI cannot access to the T: drive. So I still cannot see my shares in GUI

Under Explorer, I can see the NAS:

- under "Media Devices", and brows the DLNA folders

- under "Storage", double clicking brings the NAS web admin GUI

- under "Computer", named correctly "NAS-01": but if I try to access the shares it gives me a "Network access error"

I attach above the image with my error

Please help me fix this asap, I am lost and really need the SMB access to manage my backups

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X Premium performance Business Data Storage
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
chopin70
Virtuoso

Re: Windows 10 Install: no longer able to access NAS shares

More on this.

I managed to access the shares by doing the following in NAS web GUI:

- Accounts/Users: I created a user with same credentials as the PC-USER I am logging with under windows 10

- I assigned the created user to a group allowed read/write

Now, I can access my NAS shares under windows 10

However, for me, this is not a fix.

Under Accounts/Authenthification, I have "Account type" set as "Local Users".

I need, even if not recommended, to access the NAS through the NAS local admin account. The way I do it know is not possible.

Also, ehy windows 10 is not able to negociate the prompt for user/password when accessing my NAS despite I set the "Authenthification" to "Local Users" in NAS

For me, it seems clearly an issue with the NAS and how it is exposing things to windows 10

PS: I am under last OS 6.9.1

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
chopin70
Virtuoso

I have a hint:

[2017/12/26 17:27:59.473697,  2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:332(auth_check_ntlm_password)
  check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [PC-Username] -> [PC-Username] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER, authoritative=1

Where PC-Username is my login to windows 10

Seems like windows is not able to ask for a local nas user name instead of the windows name

Under my NAS, it was always configured to accept only local users

My Android devices have no issues to access the shares

Windows 7 was able to prompt for the access password

Message 2 of 6
chopin70
Virtuoso

More on this.

- Accounts/Users: I created a user with same credentials as the PC-USER I am logging with under windows 10

I need, even if not recommended, to access the NAS through the NAS local admin account. The way I do it know is not possible.

Also, ehy windows 10 is not able to negociate the prompt for user/password when accessing my NAS despite I set the "Authenthification" to "Local Users" in NAS

For me, it seems clearly an issue with the NAS and how it is exposing things to windows 10

PS: I am under last OS 6.9.1

Message 3 of 6
chopin70
Virtuoso

There is another active topic on this issue

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/RN314-OS-6-8-1-Win10-Pro-64-bit-Fall-Creator-17...

It is an issue in the way windows 10 negociates SMB access and the Netgear NAS response

Or when windows wants to talk to linux...

Cosmetic fix for now is to create a common credential in NAS and windows + disable all guest access on shares

OS 6.9.2 will fix this from the developers statements

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@chopin70 wrote:

More on this.

Authentication should be set to local users, unless you are using active dirctory.

You can access the NAS using admin credentials by creating a credential in the PC that uses admin as the username (and of course the NAS admin password).  I am doing this on windows 10 (running fall creator) with no problem. 

But windows won't let you use two credentials with the NAS at the same time.  If you want occasional admin access, you can create one credential for the NAS IP address, and another (different one) for the hostname.  Windows treats those as different machines.

@chopin70 wrote:

OS 6.9.2 will fix this from the developers statements

The "fix"that Netgear outlined basically disables guest access in the NAS.  

FWIW, Microsoft is tightening SMB security (deprecating SMB1 and also these changes) in response to the threats that were exposed in the WannaCry ransomware outbreak earlier this year.  Linux is tracking these changes, but of course everyone's release cycles aren't perfectly in sync.  

Message 5 of 6
chopin70
Virtuoso

Thanks for the input
Clearly we'll have to live with these new rules...
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements