× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows 10 PCs mapped drives dropping to ReadyNAS 626x

mwntg3
Aspirant

Windows 10 PCs mapped drives dropping to ReadyNAS 626x

Hi!

I have a ReadyNAS 626x (ver 6.10.1) serving a mapped drive to a Windows 10 workstation.  The mapped drive has been frequently dropping lately, which is (obviously) causing problems.

Data on the mapped drive is large (video/media) files in a video production environment.

It's a pretty simple config - both the workstation and the ReadyNAS are directly connected via a single 10Gbps copper link to a small switch (DXS-1100-10TS), which in turn has an uplink to the building backbone.  The mapped drive traffic stays local between the NAS, workstation, and small switch.

When the ReadyNAS was first installed, it was rock solid.  It was only later - about the time we added a second workstation (which is now gone) that the mapped drives started dropping - the timing could be concidence but I'm including it here in case it helps.

All authentication is via local user accounts on the ReadyNAS.  Access is SMB.  No services are installed.  Only SMB, NFS, FTP, HTTP/HTTPS, and SNMP are enabled (we tried NFS at one point to see if it would help but there was no improvement).

When the problem happens (during a transfer, or even while sitting idle), the situation usually corrects itself a short time afterward, though it can happen again right away.  We've tried different cables, NICs, ports, etc.

I've checked a couple other threads here, and have downloaded and looked at the logs (nothing is jumping out at me), but I'd be happy to send the logs to get a second set of eyeballs on them.

Thanks for any assistance!

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Windows 10 PCs mapped drives dropping to ReadyNAS 626x

FWIW, my RN526x has the data volume permanently mapped on a Windows 10 PC - using a 10GbaseT connection to an XM708 switch. I haven't seen any connection drops with 6.10.x firmware.  I did see some issues in April, but traced them to a failed disk.

Have you looked at disk health?  Perhaps look for btrfs errors or disk I/O errors in kernel.log and system.log the next time it fails.

Message 2 of 5
mwntg3
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!

According to what I can see on the ReadyNAS, all drives are healthy.  I also did not see any indications of filesystem or drive problems in the logs.

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@mwntg3 wrote:

According to what I can see on the ReadyNAS, all drives are healthy. 

FWIW, the SMART stats on my failed drive looked healthy too.  But smartctl -x showed some unrecoverable errors, and when I tested the drive with lifeguard it failed.  However, smartctl -x  also showed similar errors on two other drives.  I replaced one of those others, and found that lifeguard passed it.  I left the other in service, but am watching it closely.

While I'm not certain how much weight to put on the  smartctl -x info,  I think it is worth looking at (and testing the drives that show these errors).  Though I'd normally expect to see a disk or btrfs error around the time of the connection drop.

Also, have you looked at ethernet stats on the switch (and the NAS)?

Message 4 of 5
mwntg3
Aspirant

Switch is showing no errors or other issues on the NAS or workstation ports.

Also ran smartctl -x on all drives, again no issues.

Very frustrating!

Thanks...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements