× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows 10 Pro: no longer able to access NAS shares

RTSwiss1
Guide

Windows 10 Pro: no longer able to access NAS shares

I have been living in the past -- running an in home workgroup with a half-dozen machines mostly running XP, backed up and with files shared on two ReadyNAS NV+ and one ReadyNAS Duo.  All machines have common access to ReadyNAS shares using a common account with a single pwd.  

Have added a new machine running Windows 10 Pro; from that machine I can access the NAS devices via IP address; I can map shared drives on other local machines running XP; I cannot map the shares on either NV+; I know others have encountered problems of this sort in Win10, and I have verified that SMBv1 is enabled on the Win10 machine.  Here's one other oddity: to run some legacy graphing software I have NT4.0 running in a VM under VMWare 7 on the Win10 machine; the NT4.0/VM can map the shares on the ReadyNAS as readily as any other machine on the network (except the new Win10 machine).  

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.  

Thanks. 

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

In addition to the deprecation of SMBv1 in Win10, Microsoft has also been tightening up on guest access.  Your problem could be related to the credentials Windows is using.

Try running the windows command prompt (CMD) and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\c /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real IP address and admin password of course.  Be careful on the typing, particularly spaces and the slash direction.

The first command terminates any open network sessions - it might tell you there are none, or it might prompt for confirmation.  If it prompts, let it proceed.

The second command attempts to map the NAS data volume to drive letter T.  That requires NAS admin credentials, and it won't work if your NAS admin password is still set to the default netgear1.

Let us know if this works (and if not, what errors you get).

There are a couple other possibilities you could check:

1. Internet Security Software might be blocking access, so try disabling that software if it's installed on the PC
  2. If the network connection is classified as public, then Windows will block SMB access by default.
Message 2 of 10
RTSwiss1
Guide

StephenB --

Thanks.  Just spent 90 minutes on a response, and then lost all the work due to some sort of authentification failure on the forum.  Here's the short version, including that I initially misdescribed the problem: the share is sometimes mapped but is not accessible.  The network is private and all machines and storage devices use a common username and password.

Attempting to map a share (as z: ) using the map network drive function produces at best the error message ""Z: is not accessible.  An unexpected network error occurred."  But the mapped share is visible as Z: in File Explorer; but when an attempt is made to access it the same error message is received.  

Attempting to map a share using the command processor as you describe (describing the share to be mapped using \\nas-ip-address\sharename") produces the message "System error 86 has occurred.  The specified network password is not correct."  Mapping it exactly as you specifiy (using \\nas-ip-address\c") produces "The command completed successfully." and the share is again visible as the assigned drive but attempting to access it again produces a "not accessible" error message.  

Attempting to map a shared drive on another local machine using either method was successful when attempted on a machine running XP32 and the drive could be accessed; while attempting to do so on a(n old but still functioning) machine running NT 4.0 again mapped the drives but they were not accessible.  

I encounted a couple of other anomalies, but this summarizes the basic situation a little more succinctly than my lost message.  

Thanks again.  Any further thoughts?  

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

What firmware is running on the various NAS?

Is the behavior with the duo different from the two NV+?

Is the security mode on the NV+ set to user security or share security?  You'll find this in frontview (security->security mode).  You might not see "share" security as an option there.

Message 4 of 10
RTSwiss1
Guide

All devices are running 4.1.15 [1.00a043]

Security on both NV+ is share

Behavior of duo was different (error message 53 or 58);  I'll try again and report back. 

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Share security was deprecated quite a while ago, because it was misbehaving with newer versions of windows.

I recommend changing to user-mode security.  You can use a single user account for that (including the built-in admin account), and enter the user/password for the account into Win10's credential manager.  There is a guide for the NAS part of this here: http://readynas.sphardy.com/2010/09/how-to-migrate-to-user-security-mode_4917.html 

Message 6 of 10
RTSwiss1
Guide

Interim update: the second NV+ and Duo were both not accessible with net use . . .   

The NV+ returned "System error 53 has ocurred.  The network path was not found", even though the machine is clearly visible on the network by Win10 with the IP address used in the command.  

The Duo returned " ... error 58 ... The specified server cannot perform the requested operation."

I will try altering the security settings on the NV+'s as you suggest.  As I recall the admin menu on the Duo it does not seem to offer differing security modes, but I will check.  

Thank you. 

Message 7 of 10
RTSwiss1
Guide

Step 3 of the link to how to reset security to user contains an image preceded by the admonition to set the file permissions exactly as in that image.  I was unable to view that image in chrome or (or Safari on a Mac).  Could you possibly reproduce for me the contents of that image?  

Thanks.  

Message 8 of 10
RTSwiss1
Guide

Looking at the Advanced Options tab under CIFS (with a little help from another post) I'm inclined to think that these should be implemented as follows:

Advanced share permissions

Share folder owner      [Sharename]

Share folder group      [user]

Share folder group rights [R/W]

Share holder everyone rights [R/W]

Check box for "Set ownership and permission for existing files ...."

Leave box checked for " Grant rename and delete . . . to non-owner . . ."

Are those correct?   Is the "user" the name of the assigned user (which will be used by all computers on the network)? 

Thanks.  

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@RTSwiss1 wrote:

Are those correct?   Is the "user" the name of the assigned user (which will be used by all computers on the network)? 

Yes, those are the settings.

You can use the account username and group or alternatively nobody for the user and nogroup for the group.  I use the admin account myself  - which of course would give all the computer users full access to the NAS, including the admin web UI (since they can see the credentials in the Windows credentials manager).

I don't think this will get us all the way to a solution, since the duo only has user mode and isn't accessible.  You can also reset the file permissions on the Duo using that advanced screen.  Try doing that also, and see if that helps with the access.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements