× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows 10 Update or Ready Nas NV+ RND4000

jwiltshire2122
Aspirant

Windows 10 Update or Ready Nas NV+ RND4000

Does anyone know if there is an update for this storage device for WIN10? And if so any instructions n how best to update.

I can see the device in the management console but cannot access the data onthe drives.

Model: RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ v1)|READYNAS NV+ v1 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Re: Windows 10 Update or Ready Nas NV+ RND4000

Go into "turn windows features on and off" on the PC, and enable the SMB 1.0 client software.

Note that Microsoft is deprecating that client because the 1.0 protocol isn't secure.  Personally I'm fine with using that protocol on a home network, but opinions on that vary.

Given the age of the NAS, you might plan on getting a modern replacement (perhaps an RN214 or an RN422).  That will be much faster, have some more features - and will support SMB 3.  You could then repurpose the NV+ as a backup NAS (using rsync to back up the newer model).

Message 2 of 17
jwiltshire2122
Aspirant

Thank. I have enabled SMB1 however I still can't acess the data on the shares. Before WIN10 I could acess in Explorer by selecting the NAS and then a drop down menu would allow access to the data

Now whenever I select the NAS it takes me to the IP address and Admin pages where I can't seem to access the data

I have a laptop running WIN7 and it works fine

Model: RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Try entering \\nas-ip-address (or \\nas-host-name) into the file explorer address bar and see if that works. Use the real IP address or hostname of course - and be careful to use the correct slash direction.

Message 4 of 17
jwiltshire2122
Aspirant

Nothing there. It just searches endlessly (\\nas-ip-192.168.1.92)

Message 5 of 17
bedlam1
Prodigy

you need to use \\192.168.1.92

Message 6 of 17
jwiltshire2122
Aspirant

OK well thats the normal method if I click on thedrive it takes me to that address with 2 issues.

1. I keep getting Secuiry Cert issue warnings I hace to navigate around and

2. When I enter user and pw I see the admin page but still cannot see how to access the data

Message 7 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@jwiltshire2122 wrote:

OK well thats the normal method if I click on thedrive it takes me to that address with 2 issues.

1. I keep getting Secuiry Cert issue warnings I hace to navigate around and

2. When I enter user and pw I see the admin page but still cannot see how to access the data

Both of these issues are because you are typing //192.168.1.92 - ignoring my instructions to be careful to use the correct slash direction.  You need to enter \\192.168.1.92 in the file explorer address bar.

Message 8 of 17
jwiltshire2122
Aspirant

Actually I've tried it both ways. The way you suggested will not connect it searches in this week and never connects to anything.
Model: RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ v1)|READYNAS NV+ v1 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 9 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@jwiltshire2122 wrote:
Actually I've tried it both ways. The way you suggested will not connect it searches in this week and never connects to anything.

Well, you didn't type what I meant you to type in the post above (you said you typed \\nas-ip-192.168.1.92 and not \\192.168.1.192 )

//192.168.1.92 won't work - as you discovered, it launches your browser and connects with http.

But if you have tried \\192.168.1.192 already, then try running CMD by entering CMD in the windows search box.  That will open a black text box.  Select that box and enter

net use * /delete
net use z: \\192.168.1.92\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real admin password instead of the italics.  Be very careful on the typing - particularly spaces and slash direction.  Note both slash directions are used in the commands above.

The first command terminates any open SMB sessions.  If it prompts, let it proceed.  

The second command attempts to mount the data volume on your NAS as drive letter Z on the PC.  Let us know if it works (or what error you get).

Message 10 of 17
jwiltshire2122
Aspirant

i get the following

The syntax of this command is:

NET
[ ACCOUNTS | COMPUTER | CONFIG | CONTINUE | FILE | GROUP | HELP |
HELPMSG | LOCALGROUP | PAUSE | SESSION | SHARE | START |
STATISTICS | STOP | TIME | USE | USER | VIEW ]

C:\windows\system32>

Message 11 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

Which is telling you it doesn't understand because you mis-typed something.

Message 12 of 17
jwiltshire2122
Aspirant

i typed

C:\windows\system32>net use* /delete net use z:\\192.168.1.92\C user:admin as-admin-password

Message 13 of 17
StephenB
Guru

C:\windows\system32>net use* /delete net use z:\\192.168.1.92\C user:admin as-admin-password

Which isn't what I typed.

Two commands, each on their own line (hit enter after each):

net use * /delete

Note the space beyween "use" and "*" - which isn't in what you typed above.

net use z: \\192.168.1.92\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

Note the space after z: and the slash before user - which also were missing in what you typed above.

Message 14 of 17
jwiltshire2122
Aspirant

ok. odd now when i run cmd i see the drive listed as

C:\Users\Garrett>

thus appearded after a windows update

Message 15 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@jwiltshire2122 wrote:

ok. odd now when i run cmd i see the drive listed as

C:\Users\Garrett>

This appears to be your PC's C drive, and not the NAS.

Message 16 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

Running CMD just opens a command prompt with it's "home" folder as your local user folder (C:\Users\Garret).  Once you've successfully completed the commands @StephenB listed, you should see drive "Z" under "My Computer", which is your NAS, but can use it as if it were a drive.  Alternately, from that command prompt, type:  dir z:

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements