× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows 10 access to RN314

monarocv8
Aspirant

Windows 10 access to RN314

I'm trying the preview of Windows 10 on one of my machines, and have come across some very strange behaviour.

Windows 10 can access and map shares on older NVX and NV+v2 ReadyNAS boxes, and read/write access is OK. However, when I try and access any shares on a RN314, I get an error message which says "the specified server cannot perform the requested operation".

It's strange, because I can access the firmware from the same machine, and I can access the share from a Windows 7 virtual machine running on the Windows 10 machine as well as other machines on the same network, but direct it's just no luck at all. I've checked the permissions ("Everyone" user has read/write), made sure that SMB is activated (it is) - but can't figure out why just this one isn't working.

Would really appreciate if anyone has seen this or has a view to what may be the fix - it's driving me crazy!
Message 1 of 7
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Does it show you the same thing when you run/search \\IP_of_NAS (ex \\192.168.1.4)?
Message 2 of 7
monarocv8
Aspirant

Unfortunately yes.

I've also tried from the command line, and get this :-

C:\Users\me>net use t: \\rn314\share
System error 58 has occurred.

The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Odd.

I just installed Windows 10 in a VM and it works fine for me with OS6 devices.

Which firmware version are you running on your 314?

Have you tried e.g.

net use t: \\rn314\share /USER:username

Where username is the name of your user on the NAS?
Message 4 of 7
monarocv8
Aspirant

Which firmware version are you running on your 314?

Using 6.2.4

Have you tried e.g.
net use t: \\rn314\share /USER:username

Where username is the name of your user on the NAS?

I run all 3 NAS currently as 'open' access (none have any users setup, and have read/write access for everyone) - and both my NV+v2 and NVX work fine in that mode from Windows 10. Accessing the RN314 from other OS also seems to work, just RN314/Windows 10 is an issue.

Will try setting up a user and seeing if that helps - thanks for the suggestion 🙂
Message 5 of 7
randomnut1
Apprentice

I just made a post about what might be a similar problem.

open Secpol.msc , and change the setting Local Policies > Security Options > Network Security: Lan Manager Authentication Level to Send LM & NTLM, use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

Does it work after changing that?

If you are not using windows Pro and cannot load secpol, there is a way to change that setting in the registry but do not know where off the top of my head.
Message 6 of 7
sparhawk765
Tutor

I'm having similar problems with Windows 10, running build 10130 (SV_se) at the moment and trying to use it against a RN104 running OS 6.2.4.

The NAS doesn't show up under Network in Explorer and trying to access it through \\<IP_or_name> doesn't work either. It just gives the usual network path cannot be found. The strange thing though is that I have gotten the share-list one time, then trying to access a share gives me an error, after this subsequent tries to show the shares ends up not working.

From commandline I can net view, net view \\nas but not net use on any of the shares, that only gives me Systemerror 58...

I have tried setting the above in local policies but it didnt help.

EDIT:
Ok, so it seems my problem was I'm logging in with PIN and that for some strange reason messes up. When I switched back to normal password login my NAS pops up in Explorer and I can at least with username/pass map my network drives. God knows why it doesn't even show up when you login with PIN. Worth noting is that I do use PIN in Windows 8.1 too and the NAS works like a charm there so ... M$ being M$ I guess. 🙂
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements