× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows 10 keeps forgetting ReadyNas

Phil99
Aspirant

Re: Windows 10 keeps forgetting ReadyNas

Yes, darn right it is a windows 10 problem. My finger is not pointing at Netgear. I have been using readynas units for years without trouble until windows 10. There isn't an IP conflict.

Message 26 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@Phil99 wrote:

The problem is that every so often, it takes ages (30 to 40 seconds) for the readynas to respond. 

Thanks, that helps.  Are you accessing by ip address or hostname?  Just wondering if ip address would be more stable.

My Win10 system doesn't happen to have this issue, the data volume on my 526X stays mapped.

Message 27 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried disabling IPv6 on the NAS?

Message 28 of 34
Grumpy-Wombat
Aspirant

Trying to cover a couple of posted questions in one answer.

To confirm the "problem".  Start copy a large collection of files to the NAS using Windows 10 Explorer and the NAS will eventually appear to "hang" and then no further file transfer. No error message, just sits there stopped.  Rebooting the NAS and hitting "try again" in the subsequent windows explorer error box when it says lost connection starts the file transfers again.  Entirely possible that the process is kicking of the Windows end of things - but it only happens on that NAS that I'm backing .exe files and other potential threats to.

I can confirm that the ReadyNAS is fixed IP V4 and outside the DHCP range of the router.  Since I can access the NAS web interface even when it is "locked up" at the expected IP address pretty well rules out IP conflict.

The NAS is mapped using its network name and not IP address.  Worth looking at trying the IP address for the mapping - it wouldn't be unknown for the Windows network browser to fail - although that's usually at start up.  I'll try at the end of the week.

I'll also try access from other compters and report back.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 29 of 34
Phil99
Aspirant

Looking at the settings for the "eth0" card:

IP Settings: Static IPV4, DHCP IPV6
IP Address: 192.168.0.55 (Yes, I have set a static IP address - I too thought that might help).

Under settings for the eth0 card::
IPV4 tab: Configure: Static, Address: 192.168.0.55, Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, Router 192.168.0.1
IPV6 tab: Configure: Automatically/DHCP, Router: 0.0.0.0 IPV6 address ::

(There was another Windows 10 update today. I need to use it for a while to see if that has fixed the readynas problem.)

Message 30 of 34
Phil99
Aspirant

Sorry - when you say referring to it by IP or name, what exactly do you mean ?

Message 31 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@Phil99 wrote:

Sorry - when you say referring to it by IP or name, what exactly do you mean ?

Accessing by IP address:  Enter \\192.168.0.55 in the Windows File Explorer address bar (being careful on the slash direction).

Accessing by name: Enter \\nas-name using whatever name you set up for the NAS.

Whenever you access by name, Windows begins by discovering the IP address associated with that name.  When you access directly by IP address, that step is skipped.

Message 32 of 34
Grumpy-Wombat
Aspirant

I mean exactly as you describe .... name or IP (address).

Hence the willingness to try addressing them by IPaddress rather than name, because as you say, it skips a redirection step.

Model: RN10421D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 33 of 34
Phil99
Aspirant

Ok everyone. This morning the laptop was slow to start - obviously one of those windows bug-fix updates going on that MS no longer admits to. And then the network and internet stopped. So, I assumed it's probably MS fixing network bugs ..Hmm ..  I wonder ... Did a quick update-drivers session (new network card driver installed itself) and bingo! Problem solved. It was, exactly as I suspected, an MS can't-be-bothered-to-fix-it bug all along. I never beleived it was a readynas fault. By the way, I DO still have to use Network Drive Manager because Windows 10 will STILL forget network drives if it is left to manage them itself. Anyway, thanks to all who joined this discussion.

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements