× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows Server Backup compatibility

phatbear
Follower

Windows Server Backup compatibility

Using RNPro on RAIDiator 4.2.19.

WSB File backup with Full VSS advises "The version does not support this version of the file format." when backing up to a RN share.

This has been discussed multiple times, however an official working solution has not been provided by Netgear/Readynas.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38996
From the article, adding "strict allocate=yes" to the /etc/frontfiew/samba/smb.conf.* files has not resolved my issue.

A user Starstream on the technet forum claims to have solved the issue. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 00b3348070
1. Edit the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf and add the line 'strict allocate = yes' as suggested.
2. Edit /etc/fstab and change the filesystem of your data partition from ext3 to ext2. My NAS had this:
/dev/c/c /c ext3 defaults,acl,user_xattr,usrquota,grpquota,noatime 0 2
and I just changed ext3 to ext2.
(You'll need reboot or remount/restart the services here)
3. Finally, make sure you're not backing up to a location that already has a sparse VHD file in it.

Can Readynas comment on mounting /c as ext2? I apoligise if Readynas has already officially responded with a fix. If not, could Readynas please formalise this! Thanks.
Message 1 of 5
jcarretero_cuen
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem.

Any config or any clue in sorting out this?

Thanks in advance!!
Message 2 of 5
maxblack
Aspirant

jcarretero@cuenca.es wrote:
I'm having the same problem.

What problem is that? The OP quoted a post saying "do this and No Problem" then asked Netgear if this was OK to do (to no response of course).

Are you saying you tried it and it didn't work for you? In what way(s) didn't it work?

As the link in the original post is to the entire thread, here is the 2nd-to-last (as of today) post in its entirety by technet member Starstream from Jan 25th of this year:
Hi

I've had the same problem with a ReadyNAS Duo and after reading various forums I've got a solution that works for me..

1. Edit the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf and add the line 'strict allocate = yes' as suggested.

2. Edit /etc/fstab and change the filesystem of your data partition from ext3 to ext2. My NAS had this:

/dev/c/c /c ext3 defaults,acl,user_xattr,usrquota,grpquota,noatime 0 2

and I just changed ext3 to ext2.

(You'll need reboot or remount/restart the services here)

3. Finally, make sure you're not backing up to a location that already has a sparse VHD file in it.. I just renamed the existing failed WindowsImageBackup\MACHINE folder so it would create a new backup image.

Since doing these things my file-level backups from Server 2008 R2 to ReadyNAS Duo seem to be spot on.. Backup and restores are both working successfully.

Hope that helps

Mark
Message 3 of 5
bluelights
Aspirant

Hi Mark

I am having exactly the same issue with a Windows 2012 server, but no matter what i do even with the strict allocate = yes in the smb.conf (although reboot seems to remove it for some reason) i cannot for the life of me get the windows backup to work.

The backup operation to \\10.77.100.7\ServerBackup is starting.
The backup of volume System Reserved (350.00 MB) could not be completed. Error: The version does not support this version of the file format.

This is on a Ready nas Duo V2, this is driving me mad, i may just have to give up and get a new box.
Message 4 of 5
cloud1
Aspirant

Has anyone saw the same problem in OS6?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements